Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Re: SW Starting to Roll Out Points plus Cash

bballflyer
Adventurer C

I believe it was on all flights.  You have to select points purchase, then when you go to pay, where you would normally see where you would put in flight credits or gift cards, it now says Cash + Points and other forms of payment and when you select that you see a list of 5 different amounts of points and how man $ off for those points.  Looks like it is $10 off per 1000.  I also saw this with Hotel purchase, could do points plus cash.

bballflyer
Adventurer C

I now see it in both the app and on line.  I had really hoped the cash plus points option would proves a way to book cash and reward options (or different fare types) on the same reservation but doesn’t appear to be any new functionality such as, bummer.  All the fan fare for much to do about nothing. 

SoCalFlyer97
Frequent Flyer A

@bballflyer wrote:

Looks like SW is starting to roll out the points plus cash option to a limited number of people.  The initial exchange for points does not look appealing and wonder what the purpose of it even is except to maybe provide an option for infrequent travelers who have very limited points a way to use them.  I hope that the exchange isn't what will be reflected when using full points to book a flight. 

Thanks for the update. I'll have to check out the options for my routes once they're available. 

bec102896
Aviator A
Solution

So on the app I decided to look in to the cash in points on a flight from AUS-DCA on July 5th 

cash ticket is $125 

points alone: 8,484

cash + points: 8,800 points and $55 off 

so let me think about this spend more points and $70 vs less points and $5.60 

come on SW!! 

IMG_7760.png

IMG_7761.png

IMG_7762.png

bballflyer
Adventurer C

Interesting, those are not the discounts I am offered. I am consistently offered $10 off per 1000 (in various ranges) In addition, I logged onto mine, my husbands and my daughters accounts and looked at the same flight on same day in each.  My husband and I both had offers for $10 off per 1000, while my daughter had the same exchange rate as your pic.  None of which are worth it to me.  Wonder what criteria they are using to determine what exchange rate is used.  

bec102896
Aviator A

Does your daughter have more points than you? 

This sounds crazy that we could all search the same flight and get different cash to points like 1000 for you should be the same as 1000 for me plus the same cash 

bballflyer
Adventurer C

She has less than I but more than my husband and my husband and I get the same rate;  I have higher status than both, they have same status. Oh we both have credit cards she does not?

Mtctiggs
Explorer C

ITS NOT WORKING! it’s not even gonna come back up and I have to book my flight, but unfortunately everybody’s raising the price is so quickly just might be getting stuck