Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Southwest taking $190 out of $460 for a rebooking due to COVID.

daniele1
Explorer C

I originally had a flight booked for April 2020, and cancelled it due to covid.  Rebooked a vacation for October 2020, but cancelled that because COVID was still causing travel restrictions and my state was heading into a new lockdown.  I am trying to book a flight for October 2021 and it turns out all my travel funds are down to $270?  I booked with Southwest because they claim no fees and say they give great customer service.  This is awful.  One of my good friends did the exact same thing with cancellations and rebookings through United and was able to use all of his funds for this same trip in October 2021.  I had to call customer service 3 different times killing 2 hours of my afternoon to even get this response.  If Southwest has no interest in helping me I really think I should just use United and never book with them again.  Anyone that has had a similar experience please comment below and save other people from being ripped off in this manner.   Southwest if you would like to help please reply but at this point I am beyond frustrated and upset that you think this is ok.   

10 REPLIES 10

Re: Southwest taking $190 out of $460 for a rebooking due to COVID.

bec102896
Aviator A

When you rebooked did you use all the funds from that first confirmation number? 

Every time you cancel the funds are held under the confirmation you canceled so when you rebook if you didn't use all the funds on a new ticket the difference is still on that first confirmation number

Example you cancel conf# A you get a $300 credit you book a new flight with conf#B that cost $200 and cancel that you have $100 under conf#A and $200 under conf#B

If your funds expired well that is a different ball game. 

daniele1
Explorer C

I in April for the Fall hoping COVID would be under control and had to cancel due to my state going into lockdown in October.  Vegas was also cancelling events, which was where I was trying to fly to.  Those funds are now gone, and they're offering me a partial credit.  The $50 is still in my account from the original cancelled flight due to COVID.  If this company values customer service they could work with me and I would appreciate it greatly.  I don't fly a lot, but I have used southwest in the past because they advertise that they prioritize customer service and being fair.  I have paid them $460 and taken 0 flights during the quarantine.  I am in no way asking for a refund, but I am just asking to use this money to fly when these states lift the lockdowns now that we have a vaccine.  

chgoflyer
Aviator A

Once expired, Southwest may reissue travel funds as a voucher, but there's a fee of $100 per person/fund. Is that to what you're referring?

If your flight was cancelled anytime between March 1 and September 7, 2020, your funds should have been extended through September 7, 2022. When did you cancel?

jksobonya
Aviator A

If I'm reading this correctly, in April 2020 you booked a flight for October 2020, but you cancelled in October 2020 due to the ongoing COVID restrictions.

If this is the case, your travel funds would have expired one year from the date you booked, and if you booked in April 2020, that would be April 2021, and it sounds like that is what happened.

Had you canceled any time before September 7, your travel funds would have an expiration into 2022, but September 7 was the deadline for the extension. 

--Jessica

daniele1
Explorer C

I cancelled September 17th.  I still have the original $50 in my travel account from the initial purchase.  I have not used any of the $460.  The $50 is not expiring.  Why can't I have until September 2021 to use the $410, just like the $50 that is still in my account.  All of this money came from the same purchase that was cancelled due to covid.  I have not flown anywhere...  

daniele1
Explorer C

I cancelled the flight September 17th 2020.  This is just so frustrating.  My best friend has done the same thing with United and had 0 issues.  I still have $50 in my account.  Why can't I use the $410 that was in my account?  Please just let me use this money to book a flight for October 2021.  

chgoflyer
Aviator A

First, keep in mind that we're other customers here, trying to help. None of us are Southwest employees.

What is the expiration date of the $50 travel fund?

Unfortunately, cancelling on September 17, 2020 would not have extended your funds through 2022.

Was the booking for multiple people? If so, each person would have their portion of the fund as a credit in their individual account.

I'd suggest that your best bet to get an explanation of what happened would be to reach out to Southwest Customer Relations. Hopefully they can explain it to you.

Contact Customer Relations 

jksobonya
Aviator A

It's hard to know what happened without more information on what funds you tried to use and when, but it's possible that some of your funds were not used/cancelled during the extension window between March - September 2020, were not given the September 7, 2022 extension, and have expired.

Southwest does not charge any change or cancel fees. 

--Jessica

daniele1
Explorer C

I have $50 in my account from the $460 purchase.  I tried to rebook in April for Fall 2020, but we went back into lockdown.  The $410 I used is now gone, despite us supposedly having until September 2021 to book a trip with funds from cancelled Covid flights.  I have been offered a credit of $310 for it instead of the $220 I was offered initially.  I am not asking for my money back, I just want to rebook with my initial purchase price.  My original $50 is still there.  Why can't I use the $410?  The rest of my friends have already been able to book our October 2021 trip with other carriers and not been charged a $100 fee.