Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Using points & travel funds for children & adults seperately

megan86a
Explorer C

HI, I have travel funds for my husband and I , but we want to use points to pay for our 2 children's flights. When i go to do it says that I cannot book a child without an adult. How do i go about doing this ? 

1 REPLY 1

Re: Using points & travel funds for children & adults seperately

elijahbrantley
Aviator A
Solution

This can be done! It is just a little complicated.  The travel funds are actually irrelevant to your question because the hold up lies in paying "cash"/travel funds for some of the tix and then using points for the others.  

Here is what you need to do:

• Book the adult flights.  You should be able to do this on one reservation together.  Note the confirmation number...you will need it for the kiddos.
  • Next, book the kids' flights on points.  Again...you should be able to do this on one reservation together.  Toward the end of the booking process, you will get a popup that asks if the kids are flying unaccompanied.  You will select thay they are travelling with an adult, and you will be asked for the confirmation info for an adult.  As long as you enter that, you should be good.
  • NOTE: Since you will be on two separate reservations, you may not all end up with sequential boarding positions once you check in.  If your kids are below six years of age, you can board together in family boarding, and the boarding positions become irrelevant.

Hope that helps.  This is something we do all the time, so you should be good.  If you have more questions, let me know.  You might also find it easier to simply call to book using the Contact Us info below.  

Either way, good luck, and happy flying!

-A List, Companion Pass holder