Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Regarding Baggage Excess and connecting flights

shubh242
Explorer C

Hi guys,

So I have two queries regarding the flight that I am going to take. My flight is from Boston to San Jose on 9th August 2024. And there is a connecting flight from St. Louise given by the airlines itself. 

1. First of all, the layover is of 1 hour between the flights and there is change of plane at St. Louise. So is the airlines going to transfer my luggage at St. Louise and I will get my luggage in San Jose or do I have to check-in again for my luggage before boarding the flight at St. Louise.
  2. Another query is about the luggage. Will it be okay if my checked-in baggage size be of 63.5 inches (h+b+w)? I know that the baggage size restrictions are less than or equal to 62 inches but my country there are no bags of such size.

Thank You in advance, Regards. 
3 REPLIES 3

Re: Regarding Baggage Excess and connecting flights

dfwskier
Aviator A

@shubh242 wrote:

Hi guys,

So I have two queries regarding the flight that I am going to take. My flight is from Boston to San Jose on 9th August 2024. And there is a connecting flight from St. Louise given by the airlines itself. 

1. First of all, the layover is of 1 hour between the flights and there is change of plane at St. Louise. So is the airlines going to transfer my luggage at St. Louise and I will get my luggage in San Jose or do I have to check-in again for my luggage before boarding the flight at St. Louise.

In Boston, your bag will be tagged with San Jose as the final destination. You willnot have to do anything with your bag in St. Louis

1. Another query is about the luggage. Will it be okay if my checked-in baggage size be of 63.5 inches (h+b+w)? I know that the baggage size restrictions are less than or equal to 62 inches but my country there are no bags of such size.

By policy, your bag is too big, but the difference is small enough that you will probbly get away wiith iit. If you run into a zealous person at the check in counter, anything is possible. My experience is that Southwest is very strict on the 50 pound weight limit, and a bit less so on bag that are just a little over the size limit.

Thank You in advance, Regards. 

shubh242
Explorer C

Thank you so much!! This helps me a lot.

Flying_Slug
Adventurer A

Good luck, and please don’t become one of those passengers we see on YouTube having a tantrum at the airport if the airline agent tells you your suitcase exceeds the permissible limits. 😊