Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Traveling to Mexico

makenkizo
Explorer C

When is the cheapest time to fly to Mexico but still have great weather? Any particular events during those time, and would you recommend getting a guide?

9 REPLIES 9

Re: Traveling to Mexico

Willydave
Explorer B

The best weather in Mexico is during the dry season between December and March, when there is virtually no rain and the temperatures are pleasant. However, this is also the peak season, so you can expect higher prices and larger crowds. So I would you to visit in April, Flight prices tend to be cheaper during these months due to fewer tourists travelling. 

You can enjoy Feria Nacional de San Marcos  and National Hot Air balloon Festival during that time. 

makenkizo
Explorer C

Thank you so much @Willydave ! April seems like the perfect time to visit. I have one issue visiting Mexico if ever, "No hablo español" and I've had very bad experience traveling to tourist destinations that I can't speak the language. Do you think I can survive without a tour guide? Although I still really prefer to have one.

Willydave
Explorer B

If you are not comfortable with Spanish, getting a local guide is definitely worth it. Due to their extensive local expertise, tour guides are able offer an array of knowledge. Tour guides can also provide you with information about the views of the people regarding current events in their country and globally. You can therefore learn about some genuinely local views from them. I was looking for tour guide online and found this https://gowithguide.com/mexico/guides Be sure to check out the reviews before booking.

makenkizo
Explorer C

@Willydave Thank you so much for the recommendation, I'll check them out! 🙂

@DancingDavidE Thank you for reassuring me and giving me data regarding flight safety. I've heard of it before but probably the influence of these movies are much greater 😄 I also heard accidents usually happens right after take off or during landing, these are the moments where I pray dearly for safety 🙂

Turbulence is also another thing that scares me but I've seen a pilot explaining that it is almost impossible to crash during turbulence but planes shaking like crazy will definitely scare anyone I believe 😄

Anyway, thank you for the additional information regarding the flights, I'll check them as well. 

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

@makenkizo wrote:

@DancingDavidE Thank you for reassuring me and giving me data regarding flight safety. I've heard of it before but probably the influence of these movies are much greater 😄 I also heard accidents usually happens right after take off or during landing, these are the moments where I pray dearly for safety 🙂

Turbulence is also another thing that scares me but I've seen a pilot explaining that it is almost impossible to crash during turbulence but planes shaking like crazy will definitely scare anyone I believe 😄

Feel free to go for a "Hail Mary" at that time if it is your religion or any other prayer if it reassures you.

If you wear your seatbelt when seated then you are in great shape for surprise turbulence. It's easier to avoid in the USA domestic flights since there are so many planes flying around and each one lets the others know if it gets bumpy, whether to go higher or lower, etc. International (over the sea) can be a little more surprising since there isn't as much opportunity for warning. The biggest danger is to the Flight Attendants who will be walking in the cabin and not wearing seatbelts.

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.

SoCalFlyer97
Frequent Flyer A

@makenkizo wrote:

When is the cheapest time to fly to Mexico but still have great weather? Any particular events during those time, and would you recommend getting a guide?

Hello from SoCal! I frequently cross the border from CA into Tijuana Mexico for business and have some knowledge in this area.

If you want to save on airfare, I would also explore the flight options from TIJ Tijuana Airport to other Mexico destinations by taking a Southwest flight to SAN, and then using ground transportation to get to the CBX/TIJ Airport land border crossing.

This option would get you into the interior of Mexico via a separate Mexican domestic flight for a fraction of flying directly from the USA. To further save on cash, from SAN, you can take the free SAN airport "San Diego Flyer" shuttle to the San Diego Old Town Trolley Station. From there take the Blue Line Trolley south to the Iris Avenue Station. From there, you can uber to the CBX/TIJ Airport border crossing. If the CBX/TIJ pedestrian bridge toll is high, another workaround is to take the same trolley route all the way to the border, cross for free at San Ysidro and then Uber on the Mexico side to TIJ.

If you decide to cross by land, and you're a U.S. citizen and Mexico foreigner, you'll need to fill out an entry permit form (FMM) upon crossing. If you're staying more than 7 days, Mexico will collect a fee of about $41 USD ($687 pesos); otherwise FMM is free. I would still bring your passport book in lieu of the passport card as you'll be going into the interior but you can complete your entry permit paperwork ahead of time to expedite Mexico entry:
https://www.inm.gob.mx/fmme/publico/en/solicitud.html

I cannot comment on any of Mexico's airlines from TIJ regarding their baggage fees, etc as I've never used any of them but this would a nice little travel tip to save you some good money on airfare. Note that if you have Global Entry and want use the TIJ option, bring your active Global Entry land border crossing card as this will allow you to use the SENTRI pedestrian lanes when returning to the USA.

Safe Travels and Merry Christmas!

makenkizo
Explorer C

@SoCalFlyer97 wow!!! Thank you soooo much for that extremely detailed answer! I truly appreciate it! I always prefer to cross by land if the time difference and convenience isn't that big from flying. Furthermore, I'm afraid of flying, maybe because of watching too many documentaries or movies 😄

Again, thank you so much for the detailed response, thank you for sharing your knowledge and experience in this! 🙂 

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

@makenkizo wrote:

@SoCalFlyer97 

Furthermore, I'm afraid of flying, maybe because of watching too many documentaries or movies 😄

Movies yes, documentaries maybe if you are watching ones about accidents but you'll find when normalized by passenger mile that commercial air travel is extremely safe. 

There were some major improvements industry-wide after the DC-10 crash at O'Hare in 1979 and I personally would fly for any trip that I was going to drive more than 4.5 hours (and that I didn't need my car at the destination).

If you look at the Bureau of Transportation Statistics you will not want to travel any significant distance on motorcycles, by far the most likely per passenger mile to have an accident.

@makenkizo wrote:

@SoCalFlyer97 I always prefer to cross by land if the time difference and convenience isn't that big from flying. 😄

As far as this part goes, it might be economical but there would also be some ease of travel if you are starting at a Southwest airport and ending at a Southwest airport (Cancun, Cabo, PVR, Cozumel) then personally I'd stick with Southwest all the way. 

Or for a recent trip to MEX I used one of the other guys which I could get direct from Chicago. 

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.

gazebo0011
Explorer C

The best time to find cheaper flights to Mexico while still enjoying great weather typically falls during the shoulder seasons, which are the periods between peak and off-peak travel times. During these times, you can often find more affordable airfares and accommodations compared to the high season.  In Mexico, you can find gazebos for sale in stores specializing in outdoor furniture and garden accessories, as well as through online retailers and local craftsmen.