Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Highschool Applicant

GiuseppeG
Explorer C

First Question
I am currently a high school senior, 17 years old, and I'll be turning 18 in November. I've been interested about the cadet program for Destination 225 close to a year now, and I'm eager to apply. However, one of the requirements is to submit a resume, and I don't have any formal work experience to include. If you have any insights into what they are looking for on a resume and any additional suggestions for a high school student that is trying to get into Destination 225 program.

Second Question
I attended an information meeting on October 3rd, during which the hosts discussed the program and briefly touched on the application process. Unfortunately, I didn't catch all the details. Could someone please provide a step-by-step breakdown of the application process or describe what it entails?

From what I understand so far, the process involves the following steps:

1. Initial Application: You start by submitting your application.
2. Adapt Study: If your application is successful, you'll move on to the next stage, where they will give you information regarding the Adapt test and study materials that can be used.

3. Adapt Test: After studying, you'll take the Adapt Test.
4. Interview: If you pass the Adapt Test, you'll be invited to 2 interviews with a recruit and a pilot.
5. Class Date: Successful candidates will receive a class date to join the program.
I'm not entirely certain if this process is accurate, so please correct me if I'm wrong and provide any additional information that might be missing. Additionally, if there are any recommended activities or preparations to do while waiting for the next stage, I would appreciate that guidance as well."

Third Question
During the informational meeting the organizers talked about recommendation letters. When should you have these done? Before the interview?

I want to express my gratitude for your help with my questions and concerns. If you have any additional information or insights you'd like to share, please don't hesitate to reach out to me via email at galiazzi.giuseppe123@gmail.com. Your assistance is greatly appreciated, and I welcome any further guidance you may have to offer.

1 REPLY 1

Re: Highschool Applicant

ulongbi
Explorer C

Congrats on having a goal. Stick with it and understand it may take some time. Here is my recommendation on the resume question:

1. Start with a Strong Objective: Since you're just starting out, a clear and concise objective at the top of your resume can provide context for employers. Mention what you're looking to achieve and how you can contribute.

2. Highlight Academic Achievements:

• List relevant courses or projects.
    • If you had a high GPA, consider including it.
    • Mention any honors, AP, or advanced courses.
  3. Extracurricular Activities: These can demonstrate skills, dedication, teamwork, and leadership.

• Sports, clubs, committees, or student organizations.
    • Any leadership roles, such as team captain or club president.
  4. Volunteer Work: Even if you haven't held a formal job, volunteer experiences can demonstrate responsibility, dedication, and other valuable skills.

5. Skills Section: List any relevant skills you possess. This could be:

• Technical skills like proficiency in certain software.
    • Soft skills like communication, problem-solving, or leadership (but try to back these up with examples if possible).
  6. Work Experience: If you've done any informal jobs, like babysitting, lawn mowing, dog walking, or helping in family business, list them! They still count as work experience.

7. References: If possible, include references. This could be a teacher, coach, or anyone else familiar with your work ethic (excluding family).

8. Workshops or Certifications: If you've attended any relevant workshops, online courses, or earned certifications, even those outside of school, they can be valuable additions.

9. Layout and Format: Make sure your resume looks professional.

• Use a simple, clean layout.
    • Stick to a font that's easy to read, like Arial, Calibri, or Times New Roman.
    • Use consistent formatting for headings and subheadings.
    • Keep it to one page.
  10. Tailor Your Resume: If you're applying for a specific type of job, tailor your resume to highlight the most relevant experiences and skills for that position.

11. Proofread: This can't be stressed enough. Ensure there are no typos or grammatical errors. Ask a teacher, guidance counselor, or another trusted individual to review your resume.

12. Cover Letter: Consider creating a cover letter for specific job applications. It's another opportunity to showcase your enthusiasm and fit for the position.

Remember, everyone starts somewhere! The key is to present what you've done in the best possible light and to show potential employers your willingness to learn and contribute.