Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

What’s your credit card point earning hack?

carvet
Explorer C

I signed up for the Southwest credit card this year and I’ve been trying to look for ways to optimize usage toward point earning.

I’m not self disciplined enough to stay within my budget if I use it for absolutely everything. So I want to try and find a system that works for me.

2 REPLIES 2

Re: What’s your credit card point earning hack?

bballflyer
Frequent Flyer B

1) sign up for every promotion

2) book hotels through SW hotels when they offer nice points for booking (not specifically for CC points but points directly to your RR account and count toward companion fare)

3) register for RR dining... I don't use this too much but some may

4) Use for RR shopping... I also am not good about this but seems like you can get bonuses 

5) Make sure to use if for the things you get extra points on (travel partners, transit, internet/phone/cable etc)

Re: What’s your credit card point earning hack?

honelbo1
Explorer C

Don't use it for everything, just monthly bills that are a set number. Rent/mortgage, streaming services, electric bill, phone payment, etc. Those (assuming your utilities are on a budget) are the same cost every month. So every month, the same amount will go on the card and every month, pay it off. Put the physical card somewhere you don't have easy access to (a safe, bottom of your underwear drawer, back of a file cabinet, etc), that will keep you from randomly taking it out and using it. You'll accrue a nice amount of points every month! But you HAVE to pay it off every month.