Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

will TSA care if i bring my dispo with thc oil on my carry on?

kansaa
Explorer C

hi! im flying w southwest in few weeks for college, just one thing, i want to bring my dispo w thc oil, but i dont know if its safe to do so? i dont want to risk anything thru the tsa especially since this is my first time flying alone. (fyi, im under 21, so dont ask how i got it lol but very common with people under the age as you can see) so will sw or tsa care?

3 REPLIES 3

Re: will TSA care if i bring my dispo with thc oil on my carry on?

dfwskier
Aviator A

SW certainly will not care, and I suspect that TSA won;t either.

TSSA is iinterested in finding guns and bombs - not small amounts of dope-- assuming the bottle is less than3.4 ounces.

PettyIntrigues
Adventurer A

Yep. Don’t hit your pen on the plane or at the airport, keep the oil under the regulated fluid ounce amount, and you will be fine.

I would venture to guess that about 30% of the passengers flying out of DEN or PDX or the Cali airports are carrying similar items…

SoCalFlyer97
Aviator C

@kansaa wrote:

hi! im flying w southwest in few weeks for college, just one thing, i want to bring my dispo w thc oil, but i dont know if its safe to do so? i dont want to risk anything thru the tsa especially since this is my first time flying alone. (fyi, im under 21, so dont ask how i got it lol but very common with people under the age as you can see) so will sw or tsa care?

Hello! Here's the official TSA rule which cites current federal law:

Marijuana and certain cannabis infused products, including some Cannabidiol (CBD) oil, remain illegal under federal law except for products that contain no more than 0.3 percent THC on a dry weight basis or that are approved by FDA. TSA officers are required to report any suspected violations of law to local, state or federal authorities. 

TSA’s screening procedures are focused on security and are designed to detect potential threats to aviation and passengers. Accordingly, TSA security officers do not search for marijuana or other illegal drugs, but if any illegal substance is discovered during security screening, TSA will refer the matter to a law enforcement officer.

https://www.tsa.gov/travel/security-screening/whatcanibring/items/medical-marijuana

As the other posters have mentioned, TSA will not actively look for illegal drugs as focus is on looking for potential threats to flight and passenger safety such as illegal weapons. However, by rule if TSA finds illegal substance during screening, they will refer the matter to law enforcement which could include the federal level. That could very well happen if your carry-on gets pulled for either a random or flagged secondary screening.

I will never advise nor recommend to anybody to break the law even if enforcement appears lax or if "everybody's doing it". Thus if the oil exceeds 0.3 percent THC on a dry weight basis and is not FDA approved, I will not advise that you travel with it.