Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

4 Fare family versus 3 fare family

rquimby1965
Explorer C

So while checking out fares for an upcoming family vacation, I came across different fares when toggling from 3 adults to 4 adults.  Of course my family of 4 (2 are over the age of 2 so are now adults) gets the shaft as there is a $47 increase for the same flight when toggling on and off the fourth person.  This just blows me away that I am getting penalized by $188 (4 x $47) for having one extra person in my family.  Has this always been a common practice and is there any way around this other than booking me separately than the rest of my family?

1 REPLY 1

Re: 4 Fare family versus 3 fare family

franktravel
Aviator B

Hi 

I would recommend always purchasing individual tickets over multi passenger tickets.  It' much easier to change individual tickets when the price goes down.  When your on a multi passenger ticket, the price may go down for one but not for all and you will not be able to take advantage of the lower price.   When you purchase your 4th ticket at the higher price in my experience check every day because that ticket will be one price one day and lower price the next day. 

Good Luck!