Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Baggage and connecting flights and Check-in

jamieandmelanie
Explorer C

Hi there from NZ,

In June, my hubby and myself and five kids will be travelling from LAX to Newark via Chicago. We haven't flown Southwest before and I was wondering if our luggage will be checked all the way through to Newark, and with our checkin, will it be easier to check in at LAX or to do it online (only issue being we are ahead of you all in USA and we will be leaving about 16hrs prior from NZ. If we arrive in LAX at 12noon, and fly out at 3:25pm, can we go straight to checkin with our luggage then and check in? Sorry, one more question, as seating is not allocated, what are the chances we will be able to sit together, I really don't like the idea of my kids being somewhere else on the plane and not near us... Thanks sooooo much, and look forward to your reply

4 REPLIES 4

Re: Baggage and connecting flights and Check-in

chgoflyer
Aviator A

If you've booked the flight as a connection (all flights on Southwest) then your bags will be checked all the way to your final destination.

You'll want to check in online, and as close to 24 hours prior to departure as possible. This will get you the best boarding positons so that you can sit together. The at the airport you'll just check your bags, get a boarding pass and head to the gate.

The biggest issue will be access to the Southwest website -- as it's unavailable for many customers outside the US. Are you able to access the website now?

jamieandmelanie
Explorer C

Hey there,

Thanks for the reply.  Yes, our flights were booked as connecting ones ... Phew!!! So that is one answer sorted 🙂

I can access the Southwest Airlines site, but as we are not flying yet, it won't take me too far. Hopefully we may be able to check in just before leaving NZ.. Time differences just throw me out, but we will be going back in time, so it may work..

thanks

James7x1
Explorer C

When I get to the airport in which I need to switch planes, do I need to retrieve my checked bags and go to the desk to have them checked for the next flight, or it handled behind the scenes?

dfwskier
Aviator A

@James7x1 wrote:

When I get to the airport in which I need to switch planes, do I need to retrieve my checked bags and go to the desk to have them checked for the next flight, or it handled behind the scenes?

If you are travelling domestically,  or If you are travelling to an international destination, no. you do not need to get your bag.

If you are travelling from an international destination - likely yes. You'd need to retrieve your luggage to clear customs and then redeposit the bags for your connecting flight.