Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Baggage opened No TSA noticed left inside

DavidP
Explorer C

Hi, I recently had a trip from harlingen to Phoenix, I checked in 1 bag. The bag was locked with a tsa approved lock. When I got to Phoenix, I noticed my lock was gone, and my bag was opened. A gift that I got for a friend was also opened. There was ABSOLUTELY NO notice inside! I don’t know if they ran out or what. The only thing off on the outside other than the missing lock was a little sticker that read “ TSA CLEARED” does anyone know what that means? Or if that’s indicates it was opened? Also harlengin is a small different airport. TSA screens the bags in the check in area before putting them on the belt. Thanks. 

1 REPLY 1

Re: Baggage opened No TSA noticed left inside

SoCalFlyer97
Frequent Flyer A

@DavidP wrote:

Hi, I recently had a trip from harlingen to Phoenix, I checked in 1 bag. The bag was locked with a tsa approved lock. When I got to Phoenix, I noticed my lock was gone, and my bag was opened. A gift that I got for a friend was also opened. There was ABSOLUTELY NO notice inside! I don’t know if they ran out or what. The only thing off on the outside other than the missing lock was a little sticker that read “ TSA CLEARED” does anyone know what that means? Or if that’s indicates it was opened? Also harlengin is a small different airport. TSA screens the bags in the check in area before putting them on the belt. Thanks. 

Hello!

Here is TSA's official policy on both notices and the locks for checked bags:

Inspection Notices: TSA may inspect your checked baggage during the screening process. If your property is physically inspected, TSA will place a notice of baggage inspection inside your bag. This is to inform you that an officer conducted an inspection of your property.

Locks: TSA has been provided universal "master" keys under agreements with Safe Skies Luggage Locks and Travel Sentry so that certain branded locks may not have to be cut to inspect baggage. These locks are commercially available, and packaging on the locks should indicate they may be opened by TSA officers. TSA has no position on the validity or effectiveness of these product as a security measure and will be forced to remove these products if necessary during the inspection.

https://www.tsa.gov/travel/security-screening

Based on your post, it certainly looks like your baggage either had a random physical search or the gift was flagged based on the outside sticker. An inside "Notice of Baggage Inspection" card should have been present. 

Did your TSA-approved lock have the red Sentry symbol or Safe Skies red torch icon visible? If so, this instructs TSA to not cut the lock during an inspection. If that's the case, the only valid reason the lock would be cut was due to a lock defect that prevented TSA from opening it with their master keys.

I would inquire with TSA directly to confirm if a legitimate attempt was made to open the lock with their master keys before cutting as this customer-to-customer message board cannot process this. I would also report the lack of official notice for the physical search; this appears to a valid issue:

https://www.tsa.gov/contact-center/form/information