Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Carry on and personal item

Waddley
Explorer C

Hello!

This is my first flight ever! I have a backpack and the dimensions are 16.5x11.4x7.8 . I was wondering if that would be considered a personal item and I can put under the seat and still be allowed a carry on that's 14.5"L x 9.5"W x 22"H?

Thank you so much in advance!

2 REPLIES 2

Re: Carry on and personal item

tappingmom1
Frequent Flyer B
Solution

YAY!  You chose a good airline for your first flight.

Yes, your backpack will be considered a personal item and fits the size constraints.  It should be placed under the seat in front of you.  Since it is right on the limit for size, I wouldn't overpack it as it must fit completely under the seat.

Carry-on bag limits are 24" x 16" x 10" and yours is under that limit...so you should be fine with that too.  It will need to be placed in the overhead bin.

Just in case your carry-on bag needs to be gate checked due to no space (it sometimes happens), I would recommend that you place medications, jewelry, sunglasses, or any other valuables/non-replaceables in your personal item (backpack).

Enjoy your flight!

Re: Carry on and personal item

Waddley
Explorer C

Oh my goodness! Thank you so much for responding so quickly! 

I think carry on and personal will probably be our beat option since we aren't familiar with the layout of either airport. Saves us from getting lost trying to find our checked item!

Thank you again!