Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Completely full flight, gate agent stretched the definition of family boarding. Is this normal?

kolly
Explorer C

Was B7 and waiting to board, A group goes, then family boarding. The gate agent repeatedly said the flight is 100% booked, then called family boarding. After the families boarded, They announced again...

"This flight is 100% full, if you have kids board now. Kids any age, families with anyone under 18 please board now".

There ended up being a good 20+ more people who boarded ahead of B that shouldn't have. I was a little angry since I paid for Early Bird.

Does this commonly happen with full flights? I get wanting to keep families together, but why stretch the policy beyond what it's intended for? Why punish those who paid for EBC?

1 REPLY 1

Re: Completely full flight, gate agent stretched the definition of family boarding. Is this normal?

bballflyer
Adventurer C

I don't think it is normal for them to make that announcement, especially for any children regardless of age; however I also think they are lenient as to who gets in line.