Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

I’ll be 18 soon and only have a permit

Abigail
Explorer C

Hi, this is my first time asking for help outside of my family. I will soon be 18 in august I’m taking a solo flight to be with my girlfriend and her parents, I have a learners permit with a photo of myself on it, I’m flying delta from Kentucky. Am I able to fly if I’m over 18 and my permit says “Under the age of 18 until” then it lists my birthday. My permit is not expired it doesn’t expire until 2025, I take my trip in august. Any help with this topic is really helpful I hope I gave enough information 

2 REPLIES 2

Re: I’ll be 18 soon and only have a permit

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

@Abigail wrote:

Hi, this is my first time asking for help outside of my family. I will soon be 18 in august I’m taking a solo flight to be with my girlfriend and her parents, I have a learners permit with a photo of myself on it, I’m flying delta from Kentucky. Am I able to fly if I’m over 18 and my permit says “Under the age of 18 until” then it lists my birthday. My permit is not expired it doesn’t expire until 2025, I take my trip in august. Any help with this topic is really helpful I hope I gave enough information 

This is a Southwest message board, but maybe Delta doesn't have anything like this for customer-to-customer help.

Here's the TSA list of valid ID:

https://www.tsa.gov/travel/security-screening/identification

Is your learner's permit issued by the state? It may qualify as "state issued photo ID" otherwise maybe you have one of these other items like a passport.

If not, arrive with some extra time and you can perform an interview to establish your identity. I'd use the suggestions on TSA's site pertaining to "lost ID" in your case not having any of the approved items.

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.

Re: I’ll be 18 soon and only have a permit

Hationers
Explorer C

@Abigail wrote:

Hi there!

Congratulations on your upcoming 18th birthday and your solo flight! In general, a learner's permit is not considered a valid form of identification for air travel. Airlines typically require a government-issued photo ID, such as a driver's license or passport, for passengers over the age of 18. I recommend contacting Delta directly to inquire about their specific travel policies and whether they accept learner's permit as a valid form pf identification. They will be able to provide you with the most accurate information and guide you accordingly.

Have a great trip!