Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Is this a suitable and "comfortable" pet carrier for my dog?

swair
Explorer C

The last time I posted a similar question, someone told me to buy a smaller carrier for my dog. Admittedly, the one I purchased last time was larger than most airlines would allow.

So here we go again, this is the one I got for my dog.

71-xCuQD-wL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

This is him staying in it. Wil Southwest accepts this carrier. Would they consider this a comfortable pet carrier and allow my dog to board?

IMG-1646.jpgIMG-1645.jpgIMG-1644.jpg

4 REPLIES 4

Re: Is this a suitable and "comfortable" pet carrier for my dog?

swair
Explorer C

Here is another angle of him

IMG-1647.jpg

floridaguy
Aviator C

What an adorable little face!  From the visual, it looks fine to me.  

I am guessing that this counts as a carry-on item so the question becomes is it the right size.

Someone more familiar with the policy can help here.  But for me, I'd be okay with it.

swair
Explorer C

Thank you for your kind words. According to Southwest's policy regarding pet carriers:

• Southwest Airlines® Pet Carrier - dimensions: 17” (L) x 10” (W) x 9.5” (H).
  • Other pet carriers with maximum dimensions of 18.5” (L) x 13.5” (W) x 9.5” (H).

I'm assuming the carrier I purchased will be just fine?

SoCalFlyer97
Frequent Flyer A

@swair wrote:

Thank you for your kind words. According to Southwest's policy regarding pet carriers:

• Southwest Airlines® Pet Carrier - dimensions: 17” (L) x 10” (W) x 9.5” (H).
  • Other pet carriers with maximum dimensions of 18.5” (L) x 13.5” (W) x 9.5” (H).

I'm assuming the carrier I purchased will be just fine?

Hello! Looking at the policy, yes, Southwest's specified maximum height for the pet carrier is 9.5" as you posted.

https://www.southwest.com/help/booking/pet-policy

Per federal law, the pet carrier must be small enough to fit under the seat in front the paying customer. The dog must also be completely inside the pet carrier and must be able to stand up and move around the carrier with ease.

Given that the carrier in question is 11" in height, I would not use this size given the height clearance limitations beneath the seat regardless of whether the carrier is flexible or can be 'squeezed' down. Unlike regular backpacks, duffels or purses that can be squeezed down, the slack from 'squeezing' a pet carrier cannot constrain the dog from standing or move about in the carrier.

I would also certainly first check and see if your dog can comfortably fit in a 9.5" high carrier and has the ability to stand up an move within it before proceeding any further with any travel planning with the pet aboard Southwest.