Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Personal Item

bAmbi_2901
Explorer C

Just curious what is the limit to the size on personal items? I know it used to be 16.25x13.5x8.5, but now it’s not specified. So what is the largest personal item you have successfully put under the seat? I bought a backpack, but it’s 20x14x7. I didn’t realize until I got it in how large it was, and now I’m second guessing it. I’ve never been on a plane before, so I don’t have anything to compare it to myself. 

IMG_9018.jpeg

2 REPLIES 2

Re: Personal Item

SoCalFlyer97
Aviator C

@bAmbi_2901 wrote:

Just curious what is the limit to the size on personal items? I know it used to be 16.25x13.5x8.5, but now it’s not specified. So what is the largest personal item you have successfully put under the seat? I bought a backpack, but it’s 20x14x7. I didn’t realize until I got it in how large it was, and now I’m second guessing it. I’ve never been on a plane before, so I don’t have anything to compare it to myself. 

20230419_074636.jpg

Hello!

For my flights except for my single day trippers, my carry-on luggage consists of the 50L Carofield Travel Backpack which is similar to what you describe. It is 22"L x 15"W x 8"H and if lightly packed, it can be squeezed down to fit under the seat (pictured above) if you're sitting in either at a window or middle seat anywhere generally after the 4th or 5th row. Otherwise if packed solid or if sitting in an aisle seat, or the first few rows of the plane after the bulkhead row where the personal item space is narrower, it will not fit as a personal and needs to go into the overhead bin as the designated carry-on bag.

Either way, given its size, I consider it as my carry-on bag and not the personal item.

Hope this helps.

Re: Personal Item

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

@SoCalFlyer97 wrote:

@bAmbi_2901 wrote:

20230419_074636.jpg

Hello!

For my flights except for my single day trippers, my carry-on luggage consists of the 50L Carofield Travel Backpack which is similar to what you describe. It is 22"L x 15"W x 8"H and if lightly packed, it can be squeezed down to fit under the seat (pictured above) if you're sitting in either at a window or middle seat anywhere generally after the 4th or 5th row. Otherwise if packed solid or if sitting in an aisle seat, or the first few rows of the plane after the bulkhead row where the personal item space is narrower, it will not fit as a personal and needs to go into the overhead bin as the designated carry-on bag.

Either way, given its size, I consider it as my carry-on bag and not the personal item.

Hope this helps.

Concur with @SoCalFlyer97 on all points - should be fine but sit in a middle or window not in the front. 

Or put it overhead if it is your only item.

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.