Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Pet fees are rising again.

Shanea_p
Explorer C

I read the first post but I still do not understand the reason for the fees. If you are not a pet owner this does not apply to you so move on. What exactly does the pet fees cover? How does this affect others whether there’s a fee or not? Like it or not pets are part of people’s family and deserve to travel with them however they choose. If they have to stay in their bags under the seats irregardless, why charge such a high fee?

My experience would have been perfect if it wasn’t for the expensive charge for my dog. I have a 8lb Toy Poodle that was smaller than my carry on bag and had to pay $125 for him one way. My own ticket wasn’t $125 yet he had to stay in his bag under a seat for $125. He didn’t receive first class seats, no complimentary snacks, or water. Just the opportunity to travel with his family for $125 one way. My bags were free. We didn’t get to board or un-board first. But he had to wait until we get outside of the airport to get pet relief. I don’t understand why we have to pay such horrendous fees. I could see if 1 dog bag could travel free but if there’s an accident or the pet’s behavior is unmanageable then that flyer could be charged with fees or at least refund the fees if all goes well. My dog was so quiet that people kept asking if he was in the bag. This fee really ruined my experience.

9 REPLIES 9

Re: Pet fees are rising again.

bec102896
Aviator A

All airlines charge pet fees a lot of hotels charge per fees that’s what you agreed to when you bought your flight with the intention to bring your dog. 

now would it hurt the airline to have a snack for pets or a treat no but when the dog has an accident and that escapes the carrier they are in that’s when there is a problem and that’s where pet fees go. 

some dogs are not travel friendly and are scared/loud well customers complain the airline might compensate because they had a bad flight because of a pet again that would be offset by pet fees. 

You can share your feedback with Southwest by clicking contact us at the bottom of this page but keep in mind every airline has pet fees kind of like most airlines except Southwest have bag fees 

fees going up just like airfare goes up groceries go up prices go up that’s just life 

Shanea_p
Explorer C

No it’s not “Just life.” We used to pay for phone calls/text/ and internet per minute and now there’s a set price for unlimited. So no I do not have to settle and accept it’s just life. I have a right to voice my concern here for a change and that’s what this community is for. Paying $125 for a few hours in a pet travel bag vs a few days or even months roaming freely in a hotel or an apartment is completely different. I don’t need a treat for them, that’ll definitely make them need to be relieved soon again. My dog was already taken care of before boarding.  He did not escape or have an accident so why can’t the fees be refunded? I shouldn’t have to pay for other’s fears or accidents. 

Again if you’re not a pet owner this isn’t about you so move along. 

bec102896
Aviator A

well once again as I suggested you should share your feedback with Southwest directly by clicking the contact us link at the bottom of this page 

oh and while I appreciate your opinion as you noted this is a community I don’t need to move on I’ll provide my opinion just like you did.

The only way for change to happen with any company is to share your feedback/suggestions with the company directly. 

Maybe they should go to dynamic pricing based on flight time/route 

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

@Shanea_p wrote:

I have a right to voice my concern here for a change and that’s what this community is for.

Yes to the first part, but technically regarding the second part the community is here for passenger to passenger discussion, people at Southwest that set the fares are not likely to see your message unless the communications people pass it along. 

If you want to reach Southwest directly use the Contact Southwest Customer Service to connect with the airline staff.

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.

SoCalFlyer97
Frequent Flyer A

@Shanea_p wrote:

I read the first post but I still do not understand the reason for the fees. If you are not a pet owner this does not apply to you so move on. What exactly does the pet fees cover? How does this affect others whether there’s a fee or not? Like it or not pets are part of people’s family and deserve to travel with them however they choose. If they have to stay in their bags under the seats irregardless, why charge such a high fee?

My experience would have been perfect if it wasn’t for the expensive charge for my dog. I have a 8lb Toy Poodle that was smaller than my carry on bag and had to pay $125 for him one way. My own ticket wasn’t $125 yet he had to stay in his bag under a seat for $125. He didn’t receive first class seats, no complimentary snacks, or water. Just the opportunity to travel with his family for $125 one way. My bags were free. We didn’t get to board or un-board first. But he had to wait until we get outside of the airport to get pet relief. I don’t understand why we have to pay such horrendous fees. I could see if 1 dog bag could travel free but if there’s an accident or the pet’s behavior is unmanageable then that flyer could be charged with fees or at least refund the fees if all goes well. My dog was so quiet that people kept asking if he was in the bag. This fee really ruined my experience.

Hello-

I assume there are a number of factors which warrant the need for an airline to charge additional for optional pet travel which include the responsibility, liability and potential clean up of transporting a live animal aboard the plane...

Here's a general price list as of the time of this post to transport a pet on the three low-cost economy carriers:

• Southwest Pet Carry-on $125 (Refundable) - Details
  • Spirit Carry-on $125 (not refundable)
  • Frontier $99 (not refundable)

Even with the most recent price increase, I think Southwest still has the market advantage over Frontier because of refundability and the simple fact that Southwest's baggage and flight change policies are much more friendlier, cost effective and worth it in my opinion.

Shanea_p
Explorer C

IMG_6387.jpeg

If anything, this $35 is more reasonable. It should be like this across the board. It’s only refundable, at the moment, if your flight is cancelled or such. 

YeahNoMaybe
Adventurer A

I would suggest that you take a few minutes and search "Why do airlines charge pet fees?" on the internet.

I am not sure if posting links to external sites are permitted...  but here is an excellent article from just a few months ago explaining why airlines charge pet fees:

https://www.signaturepettransport.com/blog/airline-pet-fees

pillaw
Explorer C

I don't expect Southwest to charge nothing for pets considering other airlines do. But I do find it infuriating that they increased it to $125. Delta (a more luxuries airline) lowered their pet fee from $125 to $95 back in February 2022.

Southwest posted on Instagram how much they love pets and how they saved hundreds in Maui on August 18th. Like 3 days after they increased their pet fee... Corporations will do anything to make you think they care about you haha

Shanea_p
Explorer C

Exactly!!!! All im saying is be reasonable with the prices. If 2 bags up to 50lbs each can fly for free, why should the 8lb dog be $125 per flight ($250rt)?

I did contact them and the person that responded claimed they haven’t changed their prices in years. That was a lie because it went from $95-$125 this August. Even if an accident does not happen. But if it does you’re still responsible for cleaning and paying more. 

IMG_7528.jpeg