Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Possible to switch flight return dates?

shel31580
Explorer C

Rapid Rewards member here who used SW gift card to purchase a Wanna Get Away round trip earlier this week for end of March destination. Is it possible to switch the return date flight to a day later from March 29th to March 30th and pay the difference of the airfare as the Wanna Get Away price for March 30th costs more than the March 29th return flight that has already been booked.  Please let me know as it's my first time posting this as a member as it's easier for me to communicate via this forum than talk to a SW representative on the phone due to my hearing loss.  Thanks!!

2 REPLIES 2

Re: Possible to switch flight return dates?

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

I believe you should be able to do this. Go into the "My Flights" section online and you can change only the return flight, and then as you select the desired flight you should be advised as to what payment is required to make the change.

You cannot combine cash and points, but my understanding is that the "cash equivalent" methods should be able to combine with a supplemental cash payment, up to maybe three modes of cash equivalent payment can be combined.

You aren't giving up your existing flight until you change to the new one, so you might as well click through and see what it says before any more of the Wanna Get Away fares are sold and the prices go up.

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.

Re: Possible to switch flight return dates?

LindseyD
Retired Community Manager

Hi @shel31580,

Thanks for posting in the Community! I'm glad that this is a good communication option for you - as you can see, there are definitely folks here with answers. 

You can definitely make a change to only one portion (the return, in your case) of your itinerary. Go to Southwest.com, and click on "Change Flight." Then, type in your confirmation number and first/last name. You will be prompted to rebook your flight, and then given the fare difference. Very simple! Good luck, and please post if you have any follow up questions.