Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Recent Policy Changes

JBlanch488
Explorer C

I just read that Southwest will "most likely" implement a policy change on bags fly free.  While I certainly understand the financial impact bags have if you charge for them, it takes away from the Southwest mantra and the differentiation it provides against its competitors.  This particular policy has kept flyers like me from looking at other competitors for the last 20 years.  A company as big as Southwest should be able to look at their organization to improve profitability by reducing waste/non-essential positions, without effecting safety.  Not claiming to be an expert in the airline industry, there's probably many more cost cutting/profitability builders out there that could be addressed.  Southwest has always been my go-to airline because of some of the policies such as baggage, boarding, seating, etc. but with these changes, Southwest has little to no differentiation against its competitors and someone like me (and many others too!) will start looking at other options.  Herb and Colleen are rolling over in their graves watching this unfold.

3 REPLIES 3

Re: Recent Policy Changes

ZevSupport
Aviator C

Aww, thank you! This is deff good feedback to share via Contact Us below so the wider team is aware!

Community Champion | PHL based | ex-Companion Pass Holder | Southwest Passenger

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

@JBlanch488 wrote:

I just read that Southwest will "most likely" implement a policy change on bags fly free.  While I certainly understand the financial impact bags have if you charge for them, it takes away from the Southwest mantra and the differentiation it provides against its competitors.  This particular policy has kept flyers like me from looking at other competitors for the last 20 years.  A company as big as Southwest should be able to look at their organization to improve profitability by reducing waste/non-essential positions, without effecting safety.  Not claiming to be an expert in the airline industry, there's probably many more cost cutting/profitability builders out there that could be addressed.  Southwest has always been my go-to airline because of some of the policies such as baggage, boarding, seating, etc. but with these changes, Southwest has little to no differentiation against its competitors and someone like me (and many others too!) will start looking at other options.  Herb and Colleen are rolling over in their graves watching this unfold.

The assigned seating change is already going to extend the boarding times per flight, I guess someone may be thinking lets go ahead and shift people to carrying on more items as well. 

And TBH although I take full advantage of the free checked baggage, I know a lot of people do still carry on just like flying on other airlines. And I do the same if it is a business trip.

But for leisure trips we sure do love our checked bags!

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.

Anonymous1781
Explorer C

I whole heartedly agree with original poster.

What makes us travel Southwest, almost exclusively, are the things Southwest is planning to change. Once Southwest becomes like all the other airlines there will be no reason to always look to Southwest 1st. Currently we are aware that Southwests baggage policy makes it worth paying a little more. I hope management will reconsider giving into a whinny stockholder only interested in quick profits and with no interest in the satisfaction of long-term customers.