Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

SWA no longer special; assigned seating

ressex58
Explorer C

I never shop other airlines, but now, since Southwest is going to create seating classes, I will. 
It's a money grab at a time when second-quarter earnings showed operating revenues were up 4.5% year-over-year and hit an all-time quarterly high of $7.4 billion.
All-time quarterly high. 
Ultimately, this is going to cost me more and make me feel less welcome on Southwest. 
I'm more disappointed than angry, but I'm deeply disappointed. Judging from this forum, I'm not alone, and I'm not alone in deciding that I'll need to shop other carriers going forward. 
I cannot believe that 80% of customers want to create this structure. Disclose your methodology and results. 

3 REPLIES 3

Re: SWA no longer special; assigned seating

SoCalFlyer97
Aviator C

@ressex58 wrote:

I never shop other airlines, but now, since Southwest is going to create seating classes, I will. 
It's a money grab at a time when second-quarter earnings showed operating revenues were up 4.5% year-over-year and hit an all-time quarterly high of $7.4 billion.
All-time quarterly high. 
Ultimately, this is going to cost me more and make me feel less welcome on Southwest. 
I'm more disappointed than angry, but I'm deeply disappointed. Judging from this forum, I'm not alone, and I'm not alone in deciding that I'll need to shop other carriers going forward. 
I cannot believe that 80% of customers want to create this structure. Disclose your methodology and results. 

Greetings! Thanks for posting your opinion on this. Please keep in mind that the Southwest Airlines Community discussion board is customer-to-customer community consisting of your fellow travelers, not a direct channel to Customer Relations.

As a fellow traveler, I can share that I spent some good money on Upgraded Boarding aboard many flights before getting A-List so I can get a good window seat toward the front of the plane as I got some really bad "back-in-the-B" positions when I checked in right at T-24 back then.

Details of the Assigned seating to come. I'm holding on 'til they announce.

Feel free to submit your opinion of the Assigned Seating announcement directly to Southwest Airlines Customer Relations by email or DM to Twitter/X.
https://support.southwest.com/helpcenter/s/email-us

Most of the official replies published on Twitter/X document that comments or objections pertaining to the Assigned Seating announcement will be made available to SWA senior leaders.

Texarina
Explorer C

SO Bummed. Have ALWAYS loved open seating but will now have to fly out of DFW on some other airline. Herb Kelleher died. So did his Southwest dream on a napkin. Nobody asked for my voice or preference. I fly to Miami/El Paso/Dallas/Austin/Key West on Southwest. But NO MORE. Southwest buckled and loyal customers are tossed like trash because the chosen must have ticketed seats with their name and number attached. Not my circus. I hope a new airline picks up open seating. Not crying for Southwest. Bye.

dfwskier
Aviator A

Before saing "bye", I'd encourage you to wait for details about what this realy means. We just don't know yet.