Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Re: Surrender Travel Fund value

dfwskier
Aviator A

Well, what you said in the first post in the thread was

" Rather than accept the travel funds, I need to surrender the value so I can claim the ticket expense under my credit card’s Travel Insurance policy reimbursement. "

Apparently that did not happen.

What happened was that you appealed to Southwest, and Southwest decided to issue you a refund. Good for Southwest.

Which is why I frequently advise people to contact customer relations to appeal  decisions.

Sometimes that changes nothing.  Sometimes it does.

Mryflyguy
Explorer B

Yes, the nature of the incident changed when Southwest indicated they were willing to erase/debit my Travel Funds and refund my purchase price. At that point, I didn’t need to claim the airfare expense on my travel insurance. 

it appears that this is how the process has to go since, when you cancel a flight, Travel Funds are automatically issued. You have no choice in the matter.  Then, you appeal to the Customer Service Executive branch for a refund. 

chgoflyer
Aviator A

To be clear, the OP received a refund, after appealing to Southwest under special circumstances.

Surrendering travel fund value, necessary for a travel insurance claim, is a completely different thing. This happens when travel funds expire, and their value is forfeited. To accelerate that process, they can be applied to a flight which is then no-showed, which also forfeits the value of the travel funds. As stated earlier, Southwest has no official way to help a customer forfeit their travel funds.

dfwskier
Aviator A

@chgoflyer wrote:

As stated earlier, Southwest has no official way to help a customer forfeit their travel funds.

There is no LEGAL way for SW to do it either. The only way for a travel fund to LEGALLY be extinguished is 

1) if it is used .or.

2) it expires.

What the OP was suggesting is   that  the OP the SW engage in a conspiracy to defraud the insurance company.

Why is that?  The OP was trying to get something to which he was not legally entitled.

Mryflyguy
Explorer B

Entirely not true. 

My intent was to obtain a Ticket refund from either 1 - Southwest OR 2 - the travel insurance provided by my card - due to extenuating circumstances (as defined bySWA). Not both. There is no fraud here. When SWA indicated they would refund my ticket purchase, I terminated my recovery effort with the travel insurance company. I was NOT going to leave the purchase $ invested in Travel Funds I was unlikely to use 

The take away here is that if you experience extenuating circumstances and need to cancel your flight, it is possible to obtain a refund from SWA and surrender the automatically issued Travel Funds. 

dfwskier
Aviator A

@Mryflyguy wrote:

@Mryflyguy wrote:

Entirely not true. 

Oh it's entirely true.

Let's go back yet another time to your first post in the thread. Your intent is clear.

"

I need to cancel reservations due to a death in the family. Rather than accept the travel funds, I need to surrender the value so I can claim the ticket expense under my credit card’s Travel Insurance policy reimbursement. I could just be a no-show nut this runs afoul of my trip cancellation insurance policy (must be claimed prior to departure). 

I submitted several queries to SWA  ut have not received a single response. How does one surrender Travel Fund value? 

"

Point out where you were trying to get a refund. It's not there.

You were trying to enlist the airlines help to get something that your travel insurance policy did not allow. That is called fraud, and you were trying to get the airline to engage in a conspiracy to allow you to commit it.

edit add: The concession I'll make is that perhap the OP did not realize that what he was trying to do was illegal.

I'm done talking about the subject.

Any person reading the thread knows exactly what you were trying to do. End of story

Mryflyguy
Explorer B

As I said, when SWA Customer Service indicated they would offer a refund, the scope of this thread changed.  At that point, I had no need to file a claim with insurance and discontinued proceeding with the claim. 

You’re really a glass half empty kinda guy! Glad your done ranting.....

dfwskier
Aviator A

@Mryflyguy wrote:

As I said, when SWA Customer Service indicated they would offer a refund, the scope of this thread changed.   

Oh, what the heck I'll return to the thread one last time to ask one simple question:

What were you trying to do before Southwest indicated that it would offer a refund?

Mryflyguy
Explorer B

What were you trying to do before Southwest indicated that it would offer a refund?

Trying to get SWA to expire (I forefit) the cash value of the Travel Funds awarded from the cancellation so I could file an insurance claim as a loss instead.

Had SWA been able to erase (I forefit) the Travel Funds (and NOT refund the purchase), I would have filed a claim with Insurance.

At no point did I EVER expecting to get a refund from BOTH SWA and my travel insurance.

Why is this so hard for you to understand? I guess. we have all kinds of aptitudes on this forum. Perhaps you're more of a visual kind a guy?  

Glad I have time to do this!

IMG_3756.jpeg