Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Travelling with mobility aid (electric scooter)

mendozaben
Explorer C

Hello everyone,

I will be traveling Feb 16 to Las Vegas from Orange County, CA. I am currently on dialysis and use a mobility aid to get around. It is an electric scooter that folds. I have attached a photo showing what it looks like and its dimensions. My questions are:

1. Do I need to call SWA ahead of time to use this aid?

1. Can I use this at the airport all the way up to the airplane gate?

2. Do I need to check this at the gate or can it come on board with me?

3, If it does need to be checked, will it be at the gate when we land?

I have flown Southwest for over 25 years and really is the only airline I try to fly. As an A List member I know SWA takes care of us as customers. I appreciate any replies to my inquiry. Thank you.

Ben

scooter specs3 .jpg

scooter specs2 .jpg

scooter specs.jpg

3 REPLIES 3

Re: Travelling with mobility aid (electric scooter)

SoCalFlyer97
Frequent Flyer A

"I have flown Southwest for over 25 years and really is the only airline I try to fly. As an A List member I know SWA takes care of us as customers." 

👍 LUV it! Great to hear!

SoCalFlyer97
Frequent Flyer A

@mendozaben wrote:

Hello everyone,

I will be traveling Feb 16 to Las Vegas from Orange County, CA. I am currently on dialysis and use a mobility aid to get around. It is an electric scooter that folds. I have attached a photo showing what it looks like and its dimensions. My questions are:

1. Do I need to call SWA ahead of time to use this aid?

1. Can I use this at the airport all the way up to the airplane gate?

2. Do I need to check this at the gate or can it come on board with me?

3, If it does need to be checked, will it be at the gate when we land?

I have flown Southwest for over 25 years and really is the only airline I try to fly. As an A List member I know SWA takes care of us as customers. I appreciate any replies to my inquiry. Thank you.

Ben

Hello Ben:

Here is the official Wheelchair info:

"Do I need to call SWA ahead of time to use this aid?"

I would notify the airline in advance. Calling is an option but you can also add a note to your booking via the website per the official policy:

Here's how you can tell us in advance if you'll be bringing your own wheelchair:
Adding a wheelchair to an existing booking:

On desktop: Manage your reservation and select "Special Assistance" under the Passenger name.
On mobile: Manage your reservation and select the edit pencil icon next to the Passenger name. Then select "Special Assistance".
You can also let us know via telephone by calling (SW Customer Service).
https://www.southwest.com/help/accessible-travel-assistance/wheelchairs-and-other-devices

Can I use this at the airport all the way up to the airplane gate? Here's the official info on what to expect if you take the scooter through the TSA Checkpoint. When you go through TSA:

Inform the TSA officer of your ability to walk or stand independently before screening. If you have difficulty standing, you may request to be screened while seated in your wheelchair or scooter.

TSA officers will screen wheelchairs and scooters to include the seat cushions and any non-removable pouches or fanny packs. Items will be tested for traces of explosives, and removable items will undergo X-ray screening. The TSA officer will physically inspect the cushion(s) to the extent possible and may use other screening methods to clear your cushion(s).

Screening in Standard Lanes

If you are able to stand and walk, you will be screened by technology. If you are ineligible for screening by technology, a pat-down will be conducted. If you are 75 years of age or older in a wheelchair or scooter (or have PreCheck), you may remain seated and the TSA officer will conduct a test of your hands for trace of explosives.

https://www.tsa.gov/travel/tsa-cares/disabilities-and-medical-conditions

Do I need to check this at the gate or can it come on board with me? Appears battery-powered scooters will be checked and can be checked at the gate. Here's SW's official policy on this on battery-powered scooters, how they handle the batteries, and a link to a form that you can review and fill out and give to the CSA at the gate:
Battery-powered wheelchairs and mobility aids will be securely stowed in the cargo compartment. We recommend that all removable parts of the wheelchair be stowed in the overhead bins or under a seat. 

We suggest you print and complete this form if you're checking a wheelchair or mobility aid. Present the completed form to the Customer Service Agent at the ticket or gate counter.

Full details of Southwest's policy and a link to the form on transporting battery-powered scooters:

https://www.southwest.com/help/accessible-travel-assistance/wheelchairs-and-other-devices

If it does need to be checked, will it be at the gate when we land? You should request to have it retrieved at the jet bridge once you land. Let a Flight Attendant or Station Employee in the gate area know once you land that you'll need to collect your device at the jet bridge. Official details:
You can retrieve your device at the gate or baggage claim after landing. When checking your device, tell an Employee which option you prefer. If you choose to have your device brought to the jet bridge, identify yourself to a Flight Attendant and/or Station Employee in the gate area when you land.

Hope this helps.

Andysouthwest
Adventurer C

I fly approximately once a month with my mobility scooter. I have had damage to my scooter, ALWAYS check your scooter over before you leave the airport and file a complaint if damage has occurred. Southwest works with a world wide repair company , Global. I have always received excellent service, twice given me a replacement scooter on my vacation, once even provided a brand new replacement. This post is not to scare you but make you aware damage does occur and be prepared. On the other hand, the last six flights I have taken, there’s been no damage. Once I was presented my mobility scooter front wheel separate from the unit as I deplaned. The pilot witnessed, went back to retrieve his tools and attached the wheel! My loyalty with flying goes to Southwest!!