Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Where do my checked bags and skis go if I take an earlier flight?

Latraveler24
Explorer C

I am going to do same day standby in order to try and get ahead of a snowstorm coming into Reno. If I leave on an earlier flight with same day standby and I am able to check my bags and skis early with me on the same flight then that will be great. However, if my skis and checked bags don’t make it then will Southwest keep them at the arrival airport’s southwest baggage claim office until I pick them up the next day? The later flight arrives at 8:30pm so I’m not sure if the office will be closed then. 

1 REPLY 1

Re: Where do my checked bags and skis go if I take an earlier flight?

DancingDavidE
Aviator A
Solution

Last question first - the baggage office should be open more or less until all flights for a day are done.

They will hold anything not picked up.

If possible see if you can same-day-change when you check in a the origin so that everything will go on the earlier flight. You may not be eligible for this if you aren't A-list or didn't buy  WGA+ tickets, but if there is plenty of room they may go for it in anticipation of a storm.

Otherwise:

1) They won't want you to standby if you have checked luggage. 

2) If they do allow it, you sign off that you'll be separated from your things and responsible to come get them at the airport.

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.