Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

cancel a ticket

22royce22
Explorer C

We fly Southwest about once a year so don't understand a lot of stuff!   I signed up for rapid rewards but don't even understand that?  I think I have 3,280 points?  But I don't think I have ever used it.   Or even know how, when, if, to use it. 

I simply want to book a round trip for my family of four for early July within California.  However there is a possibility one of us won't be able to make the trip.  

I assume???  if  start looking now I can get a good rate, find some low deals.  But then will be stuck with one round trip ticket of one member can't go?  

I have read about cancelling a ticket but was kind of confused about the replies.  

4 REPLIES 4

Re: cancel a ticket

franktravel
Aviator B
Solution

Hi,

There are two ways of purchasing tickets.  You can use your points which can be used to purchase a ticket in anyone's name. This ticket can also be canceled and all the points would be returned to the account in which they were taken from.  If you choose to purchase a ticket and not use points you will be limited in what you can do. 

The lowest price tickets are the Wanna Get Away Tickets and they are not refundable!  If you decide to cancel the ticket you would receive a credit to use one year from the date of purchase.  That credit can only be used by the person whose name is on that ticket. 

Another thing to remember, if the price of a ticket you have purchased goes down in price you can change that ticket for the lower price and that credit would be good for one year. 

22royce22
Explorer C

Thanks so much. 

Sould I purchase three "wanna get away" tickets at whatever price I find?   Then purchase one ticket  using my points for the maybe passenger and would be able to cancel  that one ticket anytime without repreurcussions? 

(If we cancel the one ticket we certainly would know several weeks ahead of the flight.)

franktravel
Aviator B

Yes! That's what I would do.  You can cancel the day of the flight and still get your points back. 

22royce22
Explorer C

thanks so much.  I seems like DUH stuff....but we  fly so seldom.   Thanks a lot.