Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

current carry-on policy for guitars

jeanb
Explorer C

Does anyone know the current carry-on policy for guitars in soft side gig bag measuring 39 inches by 17 inches?  What are the dimensions of the overhead bin on SWA 737 Max 8?

3 REPLIES 3

Re: current carry-on policy for guitars

DancingDavidE
Aviator A
Solution

The bin is very long - it fits four wide carry on suitcases easily and if the dimensions are 15 inches long each for width then it must be about 60 inches long along the opening.

You'll  want to consider upgraded boarding unless you are A-list already so that you can be sure to get access to a bin. C-group might be dicey for this purpose.

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

Also the full description is kind of hidden in "sports equipment" I think you had found this page already, but if not down at the bottom of the page:

Special Baggage and Sports Equipment | Southwest Airlines

DancingDavidE_0-1694791562639.png

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.

SoCalFlyer97
Frequent Flyer A

@jeanb wrote:

Does anyone know the current carry-on policy for guitars in soft side gig bag measuring 39 inches by 17 inches?  What are the dimensions of the overhead bin on SWA 737 Max 8?

Hello-

Here is Southwest's Policy for musical instruments for carry-on:

If your musical instrument (including case or covering) is within the size requirements for carryon items 24” (L) + 16” (W) + 10” (H), you may bring it with you as a carryon item. If your instrument exceeds carryon sizing requirements, it can still be carried onboard if it will fit in an overhead bin or under a seat if there is space available.

https://www.southwest.com/help/baggage/special-baggage-sports-equipment

I was not able to find a definitive answer on the total overhead bin space dimensions. In your case, I would check no more than one bag if possible and pack the guitar securely in case the guitar needs to be checked as your second luggage. However, I would try to bring the guitar as a carry-on but upon arriving at the gate, check with the CSA to see if the flight is full and whether there will be extra leftover room in the bin to accommodate the guitar as carry-on; if not, they should be able to gate check it for you.

Also note that for non-Hawaii flights, there is a chance the plane equipment can be swapped for a 737-800 as both use 175 seats.