Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Costco gift card issue

Bnelson2516
Explorer C

I purchased a couple $500 southwest gift cards a few days ago. The flight cost was $689 so I used one gift card in full and a partial card to pay for the flight. When I went to use the partial card, which should have a $311 balance, southwest booking system said the card has a zero balance. I called southwest and they told me to contact Costco because they do not deal with third party gift cards. I called Costco and they told me that they see my transactions for the cards but they do not have the card details to show me spending the cards.

Any help is appreciated. 

4 REPLIES 4

Re: Costco gift card issue

dfwskier
Aviator A

Are you sure you didn't mistakenly try to use the card that really does have a zero balance? 

Bnelson2516
Explorer C

yes I double checked. thanks for responding.

Keviclaus
Explorer C

My wife and I had the same issue today. We purchased a $500 gifted from Costco today. When we arrived home, we checked the card balance and it was indeed $500. We then purchased a flight, leaving a $358 balance. Checked the balance immediately after the purchase and it shows a $0 balance. Contacted Southwest via email: awaiting a response. This is not good business.

Keviclaus
Explorer C

This is what I found regarding this matter: I used 3 gift cards ($500/ea) to make $1,160 purchase consisting of 6 tickets. Leaving a balance of $340. After the purchase, I checked the balances of all the cards, which showed $0. After an hour, the balance returned to one of the cards… this must be a processing matter, but glad the balance is back.