As the country embraces a New Year and turns the page to write a new chapter of world history, Southwest Airlines also is preparing to celebrate a service milestone: fifteen years of serving Denver International Airport (DEN)!
Our Purpose is to connect People to what's important in their lives through friendly, reliable, and low-cost air travel. We’re proud to offer the Denver community nonstop ways to more than 70 destinations across 36 U.S. states and Mexico. The region, known for its 300 days of sunshine a year and view of 140 miles of western-facing mountains, saw our inaugural service on Jan. 3, 2006, with 13 daily departures to three destinations—Chicago-Midway (MDW), Las Vegas (LAS), and Phoenix (PHX). Today, Denver has grown to the largest operation in the entire Southwest network, averaging 174 departures a day in 2020.
Through these years we have shared our love for Denver through airport investments, marketing campaigns, and serving the community through partnerships and Employee volunteerism initiatives. In every community we serve, we believe community is more than a place—it’s at the Heart of what brings us together and our Heart has taken significant action throughout the Mile High City and even across Colorado.
Here’s a look into 15 milestones during our 15 years of Denver service:
Oct. 20, 2005: Southwest announces a return to Denver
Jan. 3, 2006: Southwest begins Denver service
Dec. 31, 2006: Southwest locally employs 711 Employees
May 2011: Southwest acquires AirTran Airways
2011: Southwest becomes the largest domestic carrier in Denver
August 22, 2012: Colorado One is unveiled
Oct. 1, 2012: Southwest opens Crew bases for Pilots and Flight Attendants at Denver
Nov. 2014: Denver Concourse C expansion gives Southwest five new gates
March 11, 2017: Southwest becomes the first carrier to serve Belize (BZE) from Denver
May 2019: Southwest announces the construction of a 130,000-square-foot hangar in Denver
Feb. 2020: Southwest signs a lease for 16 additional gates in Denver
May 2020: Denver becomes Southwest’s largest Station
May, June, and July 2020: Southwest is Denver’s largest carrier by total passengers
Dec. 31, 2020: Southwest employs more than 4,000 Employees at the Denver Station
Jan. 3, 2021: Southwest celebrates 15 years of service at Denver
*Southwest served Stapleton International Airport from May 1983 through Sept. 1986.
The lease we signed in February 2020 for 16 additional gates (to be completed in 2022) will provide us the usage of 40 gates total at Denver through 2035. We are delighted to offer more destinations across the state including Montrose (Telluride), Steamboat Springs (Hayden), and Colorado Springs.
Since 2006 locally based Southwest Employees have logged more than 46,000 volunteer hours, supporting the Denver metro area. In 2019 alone, our Denver-based Employees volunteered close to 10,000 hours, which positively impacted more than 170 local Denver community organizations. Southwest has also supported nearly 600 Denver area organizations with more than $3.2 million in total giving since 2006. We are proud to support the mission of Denver based organizations including Junior Achievement Rocky Mountain, Denver Metro Chamber Leadership Foundation, Denver Metro Chamber, Latin American Education Foundation, Martin Luther King Jr. Business Awards, Amp the Cause, B:Civic, Denver Start Up Week, Mexican Cultural Center, and Minds Matter.
It’s an honor to serve Denver. Our commitment to this community remains the same as it did when we first started service in 2006. It is one of the fastest-growing markets in our Company’s history and as we prepare for the future, we look forward to expanding our presence at Denver International Airport. To all Employees, Customers, and community partners who have supported our service and operation here in Denver, we thank you from the bottom of our Hearts. We applaud you for your steadfast commitment to Denver, allowing us to grow our presence in Denver, and expand across Colorado.
... View more
Today is Opening Day, marking the official start of baseball season. This national celebration comes with smells of tailgating, concessions, and freshly groomed diamonds. Many cleats will step up to the plate with hopes to make the big plays and to live out bold moments. It brings willful expectations of big hearted fans, who wonder if their team has what it takes to make this year a championship season. Today brings in an air of excitement to fans and athletes in ballparks all across the country.
In celebration, Southwest is excited to announce a new partnership with the Los Angeles Dodgers. As the official airline of the Dodgers, we’re proud to partner with this timeless franchise, rich with history like our Company’s. With the major league service we offer from Burbank, Ontario, LAX, and Orange County, we’ll connect fans from around the country to be closer to the game they love. Starting today, fans will see a newly added bold blue Southwest sign in the outfield of Dodger Stadium and more once the season kicks off. With this partnership, we’re thrilled to bring exciting opportunities to Dodger fans, the L.A. community, and beyond.
Whether it’s in the air or on the ground, we carry a passion that is contagious, giving everybody the freedom to fly so they can do what they love the most. At Southwest, we’re all about Heart. And our heart says “Play Ball”.
Happy Opening Day and Go Dodgers!
... View more
Southwest Airlines and Nintendo are partnering to bring Friends, Family, and Fun together for the holidays. That’s right! With a little help from a Nintendo spokesman with a big mustache, Southwest and Nintendo kicked off this new partnership by surprising a full flight, giving every single Customer on board a free Wii U console!
More than 100 passengers on flight 1883 from New Orleans to Dallas Love Field received Nintendo’s HD video game system after they were greeted upon arrival by Mario himself. Mario surprised the Customers with a special announcement during the flight, and Nintendo and Southwest Airlines representatives were on board to share in the fun.
As the Official Video Game Partner of Southwest Airlines, Nintendo is bringing the fun and interactive entertainment of its video game systems and games to Southwest Customers this busy holiday season. If your travels are taking you through any of the following Southwest Airlines airports—Dallas Love Field, Atlanta, Chicago (Midway), Denver, St. Louis, or Tampa—you’ll have the opportunity to experience Nintendo’s Wii U Gaming Lounges. Between now and December 22, Passengers can pass the time before boarding their flight by playing Super Mario 3D World and other newly released games on Wii U.
Not traveling through one of the designated airports? No worries! You have a chance to win a Wii U gaming system of your very own! By entering the Southwest Airlines and Nintendo 30 Days of Holiday Giveaways sweepstakes, you have the chance to win one of 30 prize packages which include a pair of Southwest Airlines roundtrip tickets and a Wii U gaming system from Nintendo. Enter by visiting www.southwest.com/Nintendo.
With the help from our Friends at Nintendo, we certainly hope we have the opportunity to make your travel experience extra FUN this holiday season! As Super Mario would say, Woo-hoo!
... View more
As the Official Airline of the Milwaukee Brewers, we are proud to show our LUV and support for not just the players, but the entire organization; especially the mascots!
Bernie, the beloved mascot of the Brewers, exchanged his parka and snow boots for his baseball cap and flip flops this past weekend. Every year, the Brewers players and coaches travel down to Phoenix, Arizona to prepare for the season while Bernie mans the fort--Miller Park stadium, up in Milwaukee. This year, Southwest Airlines flew Bernie down to Spring Training to kick off the Brewers’ first preseason game on Saturday, Feb. 23rd !
So how does a mascot of a Major League Baseball Team fly? Take a look at the video below to see his FUN journey on Southwest.
... View more
It’s Game Day in Texas and we’re ready to ice down the coolers, start the grills, and put our Horns UP! As the proud Official Airline Sponsor of Texas Athletics, we’re showing our LUV for the Longhorns and giving you the chance to tweet your way to 2 round trip tickets from Southwest Airlines. On Saturday, September 1 st, look out for a tweet from @SouthwestAir Twitter account. Respond to @SouthwestAir using your answer and the hash tag #LonghornLUV to be entered! Ready for it?
We say #TEXAS. You say #_________
Hint: This game day chant can be heard throughout Austin before the Texas Longhorns kickoff against the Wyoming Cowboys at 7PM CST.
Again, submit your answer to @SouthwestAir Twitter account using the #LonghornLUV hash tag. Hook ‘EM! OFFICIAL RULES
Southwest Airlines and University of Texas “#LonghornLUV” Twitter Sweepstakes
1. To Enter: No purchase or obligation necessary. Sweepstakes runs September 1, 2012 from 8:00 a.m. CST – September 1, 2012 at 8:00 p.m CST. To enter without purchase or obligation, you must respond to the question posted by Southwest Airlines and tweet your response to @SouthwestAir on Twitter during the promotion timeframe, using the #LonghornLUV hashtag. All entries submitted will not be acknowledged or returned. By entering, entrant grants Sponsor an irrevocable, perpetual, royalty-free, freely transferable license to use their comment for all purposes, in any and all media, whether now known or hereafter devised. Entries may not violate any third party rights nor use any third-party intellectual property. Entrants acknowledge and agree that their entry does not violate any rights of privacy or publicity and that any necessary written permissions of those referenced or appearing in their post. Entries must not disparage; contain material that is inappropriate, indecent, or vulgar; or promote bigotry, violence, racism, hatred or discrimination based on race, gender, religion, and/or sexual orientation. Use of any device to automate entry is prohibited. Proof of submission of an entry shall not be deemed proof of receipt by Southwest. Southwest Airlines computer is the official time keeping device for the Sweepstakes. Sponsor is under no obligation to post any entry. By submitting your response, you are agreeing that you have read and agree to the Official Rules.
Comment Entry: Participants may enter by submitting a response to the proposed question prompted by Southwest Airlines. Responses must be tweeted to the Southwest Airlines twitter account (@SouthwestAir) and must include the hashtag #LonghornLUV.
Noncompliance with any entry procedure will result in disqualification. Sponsor is not responsible for any computer, online, telephone, or technical malfunctions or delays that may occur, or for telecommunications, network, electronic, technical, or computer failures of any kind, including any damage to a user's computer equipment, or for the incorrect or inaccurate capture of any entry information, or for failure of any e-mail or entry to be received by Sponsor for any reason. Incomplete, garbled, or unintelligible entries will be disqualified.
2. Drawing: On or about September 2, 2012 after the close of the entry period, a random drawing from all eligible entries received will be conducted; decisions are final on matters relating to this sweepstakes. Prizes are guaranteed to be awarded. Odds of winning will depend on the total number of eligible entries received. Potential Winners will be notified via phone and/or e-mail address. Entrants need not be present to win. All prizes are guaranteed to be awarded.
3. Prizes: One (1) Grand Prizes to consist of:
Two (2) round trip tickets on Southwest Airlines
The winning comment may be featured on the Southwest Airlines Facebook Fan page and the Nuts About Southwest blog.
Approximate total prize value of $800. Tickets are subject to Southwest Airlines terms and conditions; certain restrictions may apply. No blackout dates. Airline tickets awarded will be open origination and open destination and will expire one year from date of issue. Expiration dates will not be extended, and tickets will not be refundable or redeemable for cash or credit at any time, nor will tickets be replaced if lost or stolen. Tickets may not be sold to a third party. Tickets valid on Southwest-operated, published, scheduled service only from the airport nearest the winner's residence served by Southwest Airlines. If the winner does not live in a city served by Southwest Airlines, he/she is responsible for transportation to the nearest airport served by Southwest Airlines. Seats on any desired flight are not guaranteed. Government issued ID required to travel. All other expenses, not specifically mentioned herein are the sole responsibility of the winners. No Substitutions, cash equivalents, or transfers of prize permitted.
4. Eligibility: Contest open to all legal US residents of the 48 contiguous states and the District of Columbia, excluding Rhode Island, 21 years and older as of September 1, 2012. Employees of Southwest Airlines, AirTran Airways, their advertising and promotions agencies, and their immediate families (spouse and parents, children and siblings and their spouses), and individuals living in the same households of such employees are ineligible. Void where prohibited or restricted by law. Sweepstakes subject to all applicable federal, state, and local laws and regulations. Void in Puerto Rico and where prohibited by law.
The promotion is offered in the United States only and shall only be construed and evaluated according to United States law. Do not proceed in this site if you are not located in the United States.
By participating, you agree that the Sponsor, its parent, subsidiaries, and affiliates, and all of their respective officers, directors, employees, representatives and agents, will have no liability whatsoever for any liability resulting from any injury, loss, or damages of any kind to persons, including death, and property, due in whole or in part, directly or indirectly, from the acceptance, possession, use, or misuse of a prize or participation in this Sweepstakes. By entering, you agree that Sponsor, and those acting under its authority, may use your name, hometown, likeness and/or voice, and the comment (s) you submitted as an entry for advertising and promotional purposes in any media without limitation and without further consideration, unless prohibited by law.
5. To Claim Prize: Potential winners only will be notified by Southwest Airlines, and will be required to complete and sign an Affidavit of Eligibility and Liability Release and, where legal, a Publicity Release, which must be returned within three (3) days after prize notification or prize will be forfeited and awarded to an alternate winner. If prize notification letter is returned undeliverable, the prize will be awarded to an alternate winner. Unclaimed or undeliverable prize will be forfeited and awarded to an alternate winner.
6. Limitation of Liability: Neither Sponsor, nor their affiliated entities, are responsible for printing or typographical errors in any related materials; stolen, fraudulent, entries or mail; or transactions that are processed or lost due to computer or electronic malfunction. Winner is solely responsible for payment of all federal, state, and local taxes on prize and for any travel or other expenses not specifically mentioned in prize description. Sponsor reserves the right to cancel or modify Sweepstakes if fraud or technical failure compromises the integrity of the Sweepstakes as determined by Sponsor in its sole discretion. This Sweepstakes offer is being made exclusively by Sponsor.
7. Sponsor: Southwest Airlines Co., P.O. Box 36611, Dallas, TX. 75235-1611
... View more