Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

62 linear inches - do wheels count for CHECKED luggage?

lisamc69
Explorer C

My bag is almost 64 linear inches but that includes the wheels - will Southwest charge extra for this bag.  I am only asking in regards to checked luggage not carry on - I see alot of answers regarding carry on.  Thank you in advance for your help 🙂 

6 REPLIES 6

Re: 62 linear inches - do wheels count for CHECKED luggage?

tappingmom1
Frequent Flyer A

I truly doubt that you'll have a problem...they're not going to measure your luggage if it's, indeed, that close to the 62 linear inch maximum.  I occasionally use a piece where the case part hits 62", with the wheels adding another 2 inches, and have never had a problem with an extra charge.

But don't go over the 50 pound limit!!  It's really easy to do with larger pieces of luggage.  And that weight number is right there for all to see.

Safe travels!

DancingDavidE
Aviator A
Solution

@lisamc69 wrote:

My bag is almost 64 linear inches but that includes the wheels - will Southwest charge extra for this bag.  I am only asking in regards to checked luggage not carry on - I see alot of answers regarding carry on.  Thank you in advance for your help 🙂 

Wheels are excluded from the measurement. 

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.

Adventure
Explorer C

I was checked a few days ago and given a huge lecture about being 63 inches. Huge - as in never bring the suitcase to the airport ever again or else. 

She pulled out the measuring tape. 

Measured myself later. 63 in includes wheels. 

Without wheels, it’s 62in.

It was not stuffed full or expanded. Had camping gear with weight totaling 37lbs. Well under the limit. 

I was not difficult, absolutely pleasant, albeit shocked. 

Am still stunned thus posting here. 

Southwest Rep - Check the rules and advise here. Then post it on your site and in FAQs so we have the final answer. 

Appreciate it. 

Artanis
Explorer B

Wheels are excluded from the measurement.

Artanis_0-1717721808599.png

Adventure
Explorer C

Looking for a Southwest Airlines employee/rep to confirm. 

If wheels and handle were excluded, no lecture was needed. Bag would be just fine. 

Making sure I have the rule so I can counter with it. 

Thanks

05bardic
Adventurer C

@Adventure wrote:

Looking for a Southwest Airlines employee/rep to confirm. 

If wheels and handle were excluded, no lecture was needed. Bag would be just fine. 

Making sure I have the rule so I can counter with it. 

Thanks

This is a customer forum, so if you'd like a SW rep to confirm you should either email them here or reach out to them on Twitter/X. They usually respond very quickly to Twitter DMs.