Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Are rear-facing only carseats allowed?

khudspeth
Explorer C

I'm flying for the first time with a 4-month old and when I called SW to confirm dimensions and car seat requirements, the agent said that only convertible car seats are allowed (ie - the car seat must be able to face forward and backward).

When I questioned this information as it doesn't align with regulations for the age/weight of my child to be in a forward-facing car seat, she waivered but stuck to what she originally said. 

I have an infant car seat and SW's website says "children under 20lbs should face the rear" so why would they require infants to be in a car seat with the ability to face forward? Can anybody verify the agent's statement? I can find nothing either way on their website or the forum.

6 REPLIES 6

Re: Are rear-facing only carseats allowed?

dfwskier
Aviator A

I think the reason is that the rules for kids larger than 20 pounds are different: they must be forward facing in the seat.

So have one approved seat that acccomodates broth rear and forward seating options would be less confusing than having two different rules  -dependent on the weight of the child.

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

If you have a link for your model car seat we may be able to help.

Also you've bought a ticket for your child then and are not boarding them as a lap child?

I'm not sure what would be checked as far as boarding other than asking you if the seat was TSA approved which is the main requirement. 

They don't weigh the babies (although my kids always want to climb up on the luggage scale).

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.

khudspeth
Explorer C

It's an Evenflo Dualride Shyft: https://www.evenflo.com/products/shyft-dualride-car-seat-stroller-combo-carryall-storage?gclid=CjwKC...

It is TSA approved and I purchased an extra seat for him. It's similar to the Doona and I've been able to find several posts about people taking Doonas onto the plane, so I'm feeling hopeful that we'll be ok. 

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

@khudspeth wrote:

It's an Evenflo Dualride Shyft: https://www.evenflo.com/products/shyft-dualride-car-seat-stroller-combo-carryall-storage?gclid=CjwKC...

It is TSA approved and I purchased an extra seat for him. It's similar to the Doona and I've been able to find several posts about people taking Doonas onto the plane, so I'm feeling hopeful that we'll be ok. 

I don't remember any front-facing/back-facing requirements, the only requirement is that it is TSA approved.

It is up to you of course to have the correct arrangement for your kid's age and size, it sounds like you are on top of that.

We mostly went as lap children, without car seats and then when kiddos were big enough we used the CARES harness - one kiddo took to it really well, kiddo #2 pretty much straight to the lap belt, YMMV. 

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.

CarlyeThornton
Employee
Employee

khudspeth
Explorer C

Yes, this is exactly what I've been looking for. Thanks!