Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Bad for wheelchairs

frequentwheeler
Explorer C

The change in boarding policy is terribly unfortunate for wheelchair users, like myself. Southwest was unique and preferred because we could often wheel to the first seats and transfer without the indignity of being strapped onto the aisle chair. Anyone reading this who does not use a wheelchair would not likely have every seen this process (on Southwest or competing airlines) Not only did this option allow a certain retention of dignity, we did not have to call in advance for a special seating assignment. Delta is preparing to modify their cabins for wheelchairs, and Southwest can expect to lose many customers. Our numbers may be too small to matter, but Southwest was a haven now lost. 

1 REPLY 1

Re: Bad for wheelchairs

SoCalFlyer97
Aviator C

@frequentwheeler wrote:

The change in boarding policy is terribly unfortunate for wheelchair users, like myself. Southwest was unique and preferred because we could often wheel to the first seats and transfer without the indignity of being strapped onto the aisle chair. Anyone reading this who does not use a wheelchair would not likely have every seen this process (on Southwest or competing airlines) Not only did this option allow a certain retention of dignity, we did not have to call in advance for a special seating assignment. Delta is preparing to modify their cabins for wheelchairs, and Southwest can expect to lose many customers. Our numbers may be too small to matter, but Southwest was a haven now lost. 

Greetings from your fellow passenger...

I believe SW will need to continue to allow wheelchair passengers priority access to the bulkhead seats in the front row. Federal DOT rules require those who have a service animal or fused legs to have priority access to the bulkhead area that all airlines must follow; thus, it would make sense for Southwest to continue to accommodate wheelchaired and other passengers with disability for this area. I assume a number (if not all) of the front row will be marked as "unavailable" for other passengers selecting/reserving their seats during booking once assigned seating is implemented. 

Feel free to reach out directly to Southwest Airlines Customer Relations by email or DM to Twitter/X to be sure.
https://support.southwest.com/helpcenter/s/email-us