Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Pre boarding

Loriappel1
Explorer C

I recently flew from Albany ny to Sarasota, FL.  I am disabled, I have MS and have had for 30 years I have difficulty walking nd getting to my seat on plane.  I use wheelchair for long distances and at airport.  I was in line to board. There were about 14 people in front of me.  As it got closer to boarding, the 12 people in wheelchairs in front of me got up and stood and eagerly walked to turn in boarding passes.  The 2 wheelchair assemblers in front of them, remained in the wheelchairs and were wheeled to plane.  The next 12 people walked on plane and got their seats (close to front) when it was my turn to get on the plane, they wheeled me down, close to inside of plane and I struggled to get in my seat in the 6 th row. Upon deplaing,several of these passengers hopped up early to gather belongings out of overhead bins in order to get off th plane as early as possible.

I feel that this is a total abuse of the intended policy.  I feel that those who have actual physical struggles should be given the chance to have the easiest way to get to their seats.  If others have disabilities that do not include physical issues, I would hope that Southwest would reconsider this policy and help those that do.

i was very disappointed.

Lori Appel 

8 REPLIES 8

Re: Pre boarding

dfwskier
Aviator A

Hi Lori.

You are not dealing with Southwest policy here. You are dealing with a federal law.

That law basically states that anyone that cliams a need to pre-board must be allowed to do so. SW is  prohibited form asking wny a person needs to pre bord or from asking for a proof of the need.

Yes, there are cheats that abuse the system. You appareny encountered some of them, and there is abslutely nothing that airline can do to stop it.

Loriappel1
Explorer C

Thank you for the response. Southwest has always been so considerate.

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

@Loriappel1 wrote:

Thank you for the response. Southwest has always been so considerate.

Next time mention to the gate agent that you need to get in the front row (or second row) due to mobility and they can make sure those other pre-boarders if they are able to be accommodated without taking the first row it will be open for you.

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.

Andysouthwest
Adventurer C

Unfortunately, two months ago departing LAS I spoke to the gate agents and explained I need a front row seat. I recently had surgery and am in a full locked leg brace which I have no movement at my knee. I also use a mobility scooter. When it was time to board, 8 wheelchair users stood up from their wheelchairs and rushed down the jet way, while I was stuck behind them. The agent announced “ those in wheelchairs who can get themselves down the jet way, go ahead” . Unfortunately that put me in a position not having a front row seat and I safely boarding with my leg. So in a”perfect”world the disabled are often ignored. By the way the majority of these original 8 wheelchair users did not wait for a wheelchair to deplane. We all know that’s another topic.

ZevSupport
Aviator C

+1 here, though it's painful to see folks abusing this.

Community Champion | PHL based | ex-Companion Pass Holder | Southwest Passenger

Dfwguy
Explorer A

now with the upcoming changes to open seating this problem should mostly go away. The ones who game the system with wheelchairs will no longer get to pick the 'good seats' by early boarding as they have already been assigned. Watch for a dramatic decrease in the number of wheelchairs at the boarding gates. 

okmack
Explorer C

From my perspective this will get even worse with assigned seating. I cannot walk and use my own wheelchair. With pre-board I can roll up to the first row and transfer quickly. Now I will need an aisle chair and two porters, if they can be found. And this will slow down and delay everyone.

cgirl10
Explorer C

How do you know that just because a person can walk a short distance that they don't have struggles? I have talked to people in wheelchairs that have back issues and can't stand or walk for long periods of time, but can walk.  I have also seen flight attendants hold seats in the first or second row for passengers that have pre-discussed their needs with the gate agent - such as what you described.