Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Board Plane and Ticket Price by Position

floridaguy
Aviator C

I have proposed to Southwest a few times that their ticket pricing should be based upon boarding position.

For instance, if you have a particular flight with A1 to C60, then A1 is the highest priced ticket down to the lowest price C60.  AND, if you decide that you want to board as a family, then buy boarding positions closer to A1.

In short, quit trying for ways to cut in front of other people who have already earned the early boarding positions.

3 REPLIES 3

Re: Board Plane and Ticket Price by Position

bec102896
Aviator A

So how would this work for elite members? Make them pay extra to use the benefits for being a frequent flier? 

floridaguy
Aviator C

You can always give credit for certain programs against all or a surcharge.  The concept is that you pay based upon your boarding position.

parpitt1
Frequent Flyer A

FWIW-Isn't Southwest already basically doing this with their tiered Fare Structure?

Basic Current Boarding Order(My perception/understanding of it)

-Business Select= A-1 to A-15

-(A-list Preferred and A-List)=A-16 and on

-Anytime Fare= Automatic EBCI

-WGA+=Board After or buy EBCI 

-WGA= Board Last or buy EBCI

The problems are:

-Those who Scam the Pre-boarding Process, either through fraud or being allowed to bring more than one support person.

-Individuals/Families buying WGA Fares and expecting Business Select Fare Boarding, because they are Special and Rules do not apply to them.

-Seat Savers, (all Seat Savers.)

My 2 cents, changing the process won't fix the problems listed above.

My Solution: Fix the problems by simply applying the existing policies of both SWA and the FAA for boarding.