Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Boarding number changed after assignment

PettyIntrigues
Adventurer A

This is a new one for me. For what it’s worth, the Southwest agent I just spoke to said it was a new one for her too, and couldn’t figure out how or why it happened.

I have a flight today going from Tulsa to Dallas. When I checked in last night, I got A17. I took small note of this because I almost always get A16, but didn’t really think anything else of it. However, when I went to check in for my flight to Santa Barbara tomorrow, I glanced and noticed that my number for my flight today changed to A37?!?  

This is hardly the end of the world, especially for such a short flight (I might feel differently on a four hour flight, heh) but it is a little vexing. 

Has this ever happened anyone else? your number changing after initial assignment? The only theory I had was that maybe another TUL – DAL flight got canceled and they moved all the business select on that one up on a subsequent flight, but the agent told me that’s definitely not what happened. I also thought it was possible that I got A37 last night and just confused it for A17, but I think if I had noticed A17, I definitely would have noticed A37 (I haven’t had a number that high booking more than 36 hours out in many years). Another Southwest computer glitch? Weird.

5 REPLIES 5

Re: Boarding number changed after assignment

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

@PettyIntrigues wrote:

This is a new one for me. For what it’s worth, the Southwest agent I just spoke to said it was a new one for her too, and couldn’t figure out how or why it happened.

I have a flight today going from Tulsa to Dallas. When I checked in last night, I got A17. I took small note of this because I almost always get A16, but didn’t really think anything else of it. However, when I went to check in for my flight to Santa Barbara tomorrow, I glanced and noticed that my number for my flight today changed to A37?!?  

This is hardly the end of the world, especially for such a short flight (I might feel differently on a four hour flight, heh) but it is a little vexing. 

Has this ever happened anyone else? your number changing after initial assignment? The only theory I had was that maybe another TUL – DAL flight got canceled and they moved all the business select on that one up on a subsequent flight, but the agent told me that’s definitely not what happened. I also thought it was possible that I got A37 last night and just confused it for A17, but I think if I had noticed A17, I definitely would have noticed A37 (I haven’t had a number that high booking more than 36 hours out in many years). Another Southwest computer glitch? Weird.

The most likely option is that it was actually 37 all along. Do you get a pop up notice on your app or any other way that it would have been logged?

Unfortunately it will be hard to tell what happened without having a copy or screenshot of the original to verify that it may have been a different number originally or if you added your boarding pass to your phone.

Look again, maybe the misreading was today and it is back to A17?

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.

floridaguy
Aviator C

Maybe Southwest needs to start sending emails with the check-in information so that there are no questions about what your original boarding position was?

Then, if it changes, you get an automatic LUV voucher.

PettyIntrigues
Adventurer A

I’m most apt to believe it was always A37, seems like Occam’s Razor, it just strikes me as odd as that number is way way high for me and I feel like I definitely would’ve noticed.

I like the aircraft theory though it’s always been  a 700. I probably will ask around in line.

Thanks all!

PettyIntrigues
Adventurer A

So, to (hopefully) close out this little mystery, there was no one in line between A16-A20 when we boarded. Weird. I didn’t even bother asking around, and still hardly a matter: there were only 75 people on this flight. I’m back to A16 for both legs tomorrow so fingers crossed they will stay that way!

bec102896
Aviator A

I wonder if the aircraft for your flight was downgraded or upgraded and it messed up the boarding position of folks. Did you ask others in line if they had a change in boarding numbers.