Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Can I bring my pet tortoise on th plane in a carrier?

sinclairlewis
Explorer C

My mother recently passed away and not to long after I got a pet tortoise. She is 3.5" x 4" in size. She's quiet, adorable and completely harmless. She has been a huge emotional support for me in dealing with this loss. I read that small animals can be brought on board as long as they're in a tsa approved carrier. Is it possible to bring her?

3 REPLIES 3

Re: Can I bring my pet tortoise on th plane in a carrier?

tappingmom1
Frequent Flyer B

I'm sorry for the loss of your mother.

Unfortunately, only dogs and cats are allowed in the cabin, in a pet carrier, on SWA.  Even though your tortoise provides emotional support, she will not be allowed onboard.

floridaguy
Aviator C

Yes, that is correct.  Myself, I wouldn't have a problem with the turtle in a carrier.  However, you have to manage it somewhere.

Someone will have a Cobra as a service Cobra...

Someone will have a Skunk as a service Skunk...

Someone will have a Hornet as a service Hornet...

and so on...

SoCalFlyer97
Frequent Flyer A

@sinclairlewis wrote:

My mother recently passed away and not to long after I got a pet tortoise. She is 3.5" x 4" in size. She's quiet, adorable and completely harmless. She has been a huge emotional support for me in dealing with this loss. I read that small animals can be brought on board as long as they're in a tsa approved carrier. Is it possible to bring her?

My condolences for your mother. As mentioned, domestic dogs and cats are permitted aboard Southwest per Southwest policy:

We welcome small vaccinated domestic cats and dogs in an appropriate pet carrier in the cabin on domestic flights. Carriers must be stowed under your seat. For Customers traveling to Puerto Rico, specific requirements may apply. We do not accept pets on flights to or from Hawaii. 

https://www.southwest.com/help/booking/pet-policy