Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Re: Cannot Board with Two Rollerbags Even though 1 Fits under the Seat

dfwskier
Aviator A

Nonsense.

The TSA rule is that if the bag fits in the x-ray scanner, it can be cleared thru TSA.

floridaguy
Aviator C

No, it is definitely something that I am drafting.

The scanner has the capacity to measure the mass.  It can also detect whether the item is luggage or not.  Either way, if it is oversized or over count, then you fail the security clearance and you back to start along with a non-refundable charge of $250.

Air travel will be much more pleasant without everyone carrying their entire garage on the plane and asking if they can get assistance with closing the overhead doors.

dfwskier
Aviator A

@floridaguy wrote:

No, it is definitely something that I am drafting.

LOL!!!!!!!!!!!, that's what I thought

I can see it now --

TSA employees with tape measures...

TSA employees not seeing bombs because they are more focues on bag sizes...

TSA wait times double or triple the current times ...

People missing their flights...

I'm sure it would be very popular 

floridaguy
Aviator C

Like I said, the current scanner is capable of determining mass.  The carry on would be removed from the normal flow and the individual would be told to take the luggage back to the original check in area.

This would actually expedite traffic going through the TSA line as you had already placed the item through the scanner.  

The incentive becomes checking your bags and stop trying to bring all that stuff on the plane.

Yes, I will be very popular.  I have a few more sections to write before it gets turned in.

dfwskier
Aviator A

Here's what TSA says about it's strategy:

"Improve security and safeguard
the Transportation System
• Strengthen the effectiveness
of TSA's core capabilities in
aviation security.
• Improve intelligence-driven
operations with increased
information sharing.
• Modernize transportation
vetting.
• Advance global transportation
security standards.
• Promote security
partnerships across surface
transportation systems."

Lot's there about "security"  and not much there about monitoring bag size.

floridaguy
Aviator C

While I do respect all board views, I will continue to write the legislative proposal.

It would have been better for people to simply follow the rules instead of pushing the envelope.

dfwskier
Aviator A

How does your proposal do anything to help with TSA's strategy - as stated in the post immediately above yours?

If it does not help with the strategy, it diverts attention from the strategy -- thus weakening it.

floridaguy
Aviator C

If you go back, you will notice that the "rule" is that of TSA's.  They do not want multiple pieces of luggage being carried on a plane.

My proposal will improve the air travel experience by allowing TSA to better regulate the number of items coming through the TSA checkpoint.  

While this regulation in its proposed state will improve the overall flow of passengers, there will be those with financial and time consequences by pushing the envelope.  

It is my believe, based upon conversations and studying reports published by airlines, that my proposal will be welcomed by the airline industry with a red carpet.

dfwskier
Aviator A

Again, nnsense.

Right now if  pax get to bag check too late to check   bags, the airline will tell said pax to carry the bags to the gate and gate check them. I've seen pax send 5 bags thru the scanner.

I've carried skis, large roller bag, boot bag, and laptop case to the gate and gate checked the first two  of those items

There is no rule prohibiting that 

floridaguy
Aviator C

I assure you, the times they are a changin'.....