Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Carry-on roller bag stolen

Guerilla
Explorer C

Hi,

On my flight nonstop ATL to LAX yesterday my carry-on roller bag was stolen. It was placed on top of me but I was distracted and someone in one of the two rows in front reached back and grabbed it.

Flight attendants were telling me to open random closed compartments (why?), the gate agent didn't make a terminal wide announcement, and the first thing the baggage claim rep thought to do was blame me for someone taking my bag (assuming I placed it in the front of the plane and sat all the way in the back) instead of making an announcement at the gate area.

This is really annoying. I don't know how people can't tell what is their bag/where they placed it/if they checked it in or not. There weren't any extra bags on the plane according to the flight attendant we saw in the baggage area about 45 minutes later. 

Protip: have something like airtags,  and sit in the aisle so you can see exactly what bags are being taken

3 REPLIES 3

Re: Carry-on roller bag stolen

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

@Guerilla wrote:

Hi,

On my flight nonstop ATL to LAX yesterday my carry-on roller bag was stolen. It was placed on top of me but I was distracted and someone in one of the two rows in front reached back and grabbed it.

Flight attendants were telling me to open random closed compartments (why?), the gate agent didn't make a terminal wide announcement, and the first thing the baggage claim rep thought to do was blame me for someone taking my bag (assuming I placed it in the front of the plane and sat all the way in the back) instead of making an announcement at the gate area.

This is really annoying. I don't know how people can't tell what is their bag/where they placed it/if they checked it in or not. There weren't any extra bags on the plane according to the flight attendant we saw in the baggage area about 45 minutes later. 

Protip: have something like airtags,  and sit in the aisle so you can see exactly what bags are being taken

Luggage tags on the handle also, even for carry-ons. 

I hope it turns up, strange that there wasn't a corresponding bag left behind by the person who took it. 

The FA were just having you look everywhere just in case, they don't know your memory of the situation or if it got moved, if the person grabbed it then realized and left it where they were...who knows.

If it was an honest mistake you may not find out until the person gets to the destination and realizes the mistake. If was a dishonest mistake then you won't ever get a confirmation.

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.

Guerilla
Explorer C

Thank you. As more time goes on I'm leaning on dishonest/lack of integrity. They could have taken it by mistake but two days later you would have realized it and should have turned it in. This is assuming LAX was their final destination, which was likely but not guaranteed. And the unassigned seating (which I like) does make it harder to find who it was because there were in one of the two rows in front of me.

Darn if only I wasn't distracted I may have been able to notice my bag was being taken but carry-ons being taken has never been on my mind in the hundreds of flights I've taken over the years.

Hoping for the best

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

@Guerilla wrote:

Lol so you are going to blame me for someone else stealing my bag by saying I should have checked it? Then I guess Southwest should mandate all roller bags are checked.

And yes, they should make a simple "make sure you have your correct bag" announcement when they learned of it. I've seen it be done before

They have done this before, I'm not sure why LAX wasn't able to do it. 

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.