Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Infant Age Documents

Jennie1984
Explorer C

I am traveling this month with my 8mo old foster baby, I do not have access to his birth certificate so what are my options for age confirmation since he will be flying as lap infant? I have his foster placement papers that the state gave me. 

3 REPLIES 3

Re: Infant Age Documents

floridaguy
Aviator C

Those documents should be sufficient.

SoCalFlyer97
Frequent Flyer A

@Jennie1984 wrote:

I am traveling this month with my 8mo old foster baby, I do not have access to his birth certificate so what are my options for age confirmation since he will be flying as lap infant? I have his foster placement papers that the state gave me. 

Hello!

Here is Southwest's policy with transporting infants on your lap:

If you choose to travel with your infant on your lap (at no additional charge), they don’t need a boarding pass; however, you’ll need a Boarding Verification Document (BVD) for the infant so they can board. BVDs can be printed at the airport on the day of travel at a kiosk or the ticket counter. If traveling domestically with a Lap Child, you can add them to your reservation. You still have to travel with proof of age.

https://www.southwest.com/help/flying-with-children/flying-with-infants 

Does your paperwork include date of birth? If so, I think you should be good to go but I would first give the airline a call just to confirm with this document qualifies as proof of age.

www.southwest.com/html/contact-us/ 

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

@Jennie1984 wrote:

We've also used doctor's checkup records. 

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.