Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Is early checkin worth it on connecting flights?

Ms_Lis
Explorer C

Is it worth paying extra for Priority (A1-A15) or EarlyBird checkin when I'm going to be changing planes midway through the trip, presumably to a plane which already has passengers?

6 REPLIES 6

Re: Is early checkin worth it on connecting flights?

Ms_Lis
Explorer C

Also, which is better under the circumstances:

• Business Select with A1-A15 priority boarding, or
  • Anytime fares with EarlyBird check-in?

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

@Ms_Lis wrote:

Also, which is better under the circumstances:

• Business Select with A1-A15 priority boarding, or
  • Anytime fares with EarlyBird check-in?

Back to your original question I think the usefulness of these are different.

For the little extra money to go from Anytime to BS I would say always go BS to get the 12x points and earlier position. It is leaps and bounds better when comparing the two refundable options.

• Other than the possibility of through passengers previously discussed, preboarders who usually take the front few rows, you'll be one of the first ones on so very good chances for something towards the front or exit row. Note that I often see through passengers just stay where they are and not take the exit rows FWIW.
  • Anytime with EBCI is getting you after all of the A-list so you might still be good for an aisle or a window but there will probably be 30 or so people before you and sometimes more. 

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

@Ms_Lis wrote:

Is it worth paying extra for Priority (A1-A15) or EarlyBird checkin when I'm going to be changing planes midway through the trip, presumably to a plane which already has passengers?

There is a scenario where you will check in at T-24 for your original flight and then you get checked in for the connecting flight also, which may jump you up a few positions for people starting their trip with the connecting flight and aren't at T-24 themselves yet.

However it is possible that a flight has what are called "through passengers" which will take up some of the seats as well and have a first chance at relocating before boarding starts. That's a completely separate issue - that could occur on any flight you book whether or not you have a connection. Maybe not if you are flying first thing in the morning.

Also if your own connection is a same plane no change situation, that would be you who is a through passenger. 

Ms_Lis
Explorer C

I've been flying Southwest for a while, so I'm familiar with the procedures.

I'm just wondering how much benefit there is when there are through passengers already aboard.

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

@Ms_Lis wrote:

I've been flying Southwest for a while, so I'm familiar with the procedures.

I'm just wondering how much benefit there is when there are through passengers already aboard.

There are plenty of times when a flight is offered as a through passenger route but in practice there aren't very many. For instance a flight number starts on the east coast, goes through Midway, and then to Orlando - not too many people actually use the through passenger option on that one, they get better connections through BWI, ATL, BNA, etc. 

You can consider if your flight is in a straight line of a continuing flight or right angle maybe there will be more, if its a route where there is a massive double-back then probably fewer.

But there isn't any way to know ahead of time unfortunately.

floridaguy
Aviator C

NOPE