Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Re: Pre-boarding remains out of control

Flying_Slug
Adventurer A

Southwest has a unique challenge with this issue, because the order / sequence of boarding is something that some passengers explicitly pay a premium for. Having a “privileged” boarding position is one of the few perks of the Southwest travel experience that one pays extra for (or flies frequently to earn).

Except for seat location (front vs. back? window vs. aisle?) and a slower-paced boarding process, there is little (if any) benefit from any “accommodation” people with disabilities can benefit from by boarding early, because almost all seats are the same on Southwest; the exception being the emergency exit rows that have a bit more leg room (and, alas, I think people whose physical disabilities merit boarding accommodations cannot sit there).

I’ve been a Southwest customer for decades. When they first introduced Early Bird check-in, it was a welcome option at the time, which consistently got me a great boarding position… initially. Over the last few years, the cost of Early Bird has increased, just as the number of pre-boarders also seems to be increasing (some of whom are irrefutably faking, as I see them galivanting just fine for over an hour at the airport [and I know many people with “actual” disabilities, and they hate those fakers even more than me!]). The benefit of Early Bird continues to deflate compared to its increasing cost.

I’ve seen other airlines (e.g., United) charge extra for “preferred position” seats (e.g., on a B777-200). No extra room or drinks or snacks or anything, the only “privilege” (for an extra $45 in my case) is sitting toward the front of the plane (but still behind First, Business, and Premium Economy). I may be wrong and I welcome expert feedback about my belief/assumption, but I don’t believe United passengers can say they have a disability and expect to be given one of those preferred seats for free; I believe this because I suspect such a request would fall in (and likely fail?) the ADA’s caveat of accommodations having to be “reasonable”.

I’d be curious to learn how some of the Southwest “disabled” early-boarders (and I’m exclusively referring to the fake ones here) manage their “disabilities” when / if they fly on other airlines that have pre-assigned seating. Do they pay extra for the convenience of a seat toward the front (United style), or when they book their ticket do they tell the airline that they need one of those seats for no additional charge (and what response do they get from those airlines)? The number of them fakes is increasing, and Southwest, due to its unique seating policy, is a prime target for that repugnant abuse.

I wish Southwest would develop some boarding process whereby all passengers who paid extra (or who have earned status for premium service) to receive a preferred boarding position (including Early Birds who may end up in a B boarding position) actually enter the aircraft before the (non-truly-disabled) “early boarders”. I don’t think this should need to be that hard. Maybe print a large heart, or a big smiley face, or a peace sign on their boarding cards. Then the boarding agent could more accurately discern who should board first, based on extra services EARNED or PAID FOR. And please ensure that gate agents actually adhere to that boarding sequence.

Thanks you for reading this loooong post, and happy weekend to y’all. Cheers!

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A

@Flying_Slug once I saw "The number of them fakes is increasing" I knew your post was garbage.

Please tell me how you can magically see all disabilities. 

--TheMiddleSeat

kDub2022
Explorer A

It’s pretty easy - you see them walk off the plane without any issues.  In some cases you see them walk the entire time with no apparent issues!  I.e. walking up to the counter to make sure they can preboard, walking to get something before the flight, walking to get in line, walking onto the airplane. 

I’m always curious how they got from their house and to the airport. Even the Southwest staff recognizes them and you can pick up an occasional comment.  i think they even have an internal name they use for them.  

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A

@kDub2022 wrote:

It’s pretty easy - you see them walk off the plane without any issues.  In some cases you see them walk the entire time with no apparent issues!  I.e. walking up to the counter to make sure they can preboard, walking to get something before the flight, walking to get in line, walking onto the airplane. 

I’m always curious how they got from their house and to the airport. Even the Southwest staff recognizes them and you can pick up an occasional comment.  i think they even have an internal name they use for them.  

@kDub2022 nope. Someone could hop, skip, and jump all the way to the plane and still have a legitimate reason to preboard. Your belief that you know all is the problem here.

--TheMiddleSeat

Flying_Slug
Adventurer A

@ TheMiddleSeat:

I never claimed to have a magical ability to detect (as you say) all disabilities.

There is a good chance that most people reading my post have a normal, regular ability to detect fakery. If you see a person placidly strolling around an airport for over an hour, and then, shortly before boarding, that person (and her companions) suddenly becomes so disabled as to need privileged boarding, it is rather obvious to me and most other Southwest passengers (except for, perhaps, you) that she's faking.

This also happens during deplaning, as if enduring a flight on Southwest magically cures people who, upon arrival, can dash through the terminal to collect their checked bag.

I have a really hard time believing that you, as a frequent Southwest flier, have honestly not seen this happen. Detecting fakery does not require magical powers. Just raise a couple of teenagers and you'll become an expert!  🙂

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A

@Flying_Slug

"If you see a person placidly strolling around an airport"

There you go again claiming you can magically spot disabilities, yet you claim that's not what you are doing. Observing someone's physical actions has nothing to do with their qualification to preboard. 

--TheMiddleSeat

Flying_Slug
Adventurer A

@ TheMiddleSeat:

Would you deny that some fakers are gaming the system, and that fakery is sometimes quite blatant?

Look, I'm not aiming to pick a fight with you. Truth be told, I've clicked a "hearts up" on several of your posts over the last few years, because I agree (generally) with your stances, but I don't comprehend why you would label my thoughts as garbage.

I absolutely support providing accommodations for people who have disabilities. I abhor non-disabled people who take advantage of those support mechanisms.

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A

@Flying_Slug as there is no way to visually determine someone's qualification for preboarding and no one has ever told me they are faking, which is the only way to know someone is abusing the system, I can say I don't know if anyone is faking or taking advantage of preboarding. If someone has told you they abuse the system, then you may know there is a fake, but you cannot look at someone and determine their eligibility.

All these people judging people solely by their looks as they preboard or deplane need to mind their own business. 

--TheMiddleSeat

dfwskier
Aviator A

@TheMiddleSeat wrote:

@

All these people judging people solely by their looks as they preboard or deplane need to mind their own business. 

--TheMiddleSeat

Here, here!!!!!!!

Well said.

Flying_Slug
Adventurer A

@ The Middle Seat

@kDub2022 “nope. Someone could hop, skip, and jump all the way to the plane and still have a legitimate reason to preboard. Your belief that you know all is the problem here.”

A small (but significantly annoying [and, yes, based on my experience, increasing]) proportion of Southwest pre-boarding passengers abuse the system. This issue affects Southwest a lot more than other airlines, due to Southwest’s unique non-preassigned-seat system.

It feels unfair, and it’s up to Southwest to come up with a plan to fix it.