Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Preboarding with Disabled Child - Stroller as Wheelchair?

Helenasue
Explorer C

We are flying from Orlando to Columbus with my 3 year old and my 6 month old. My 3 year old has Leukodystrophy and uses a specific supportive stroller as his wheelchair as we're waiting for his custom chair to be built currently. He cannot walk, stand, or sit unassisted. Most strollers do not offer the support he needs, so I can't just buy a cheap one when we arrive at our destination or anything if his gets broken. 

I want to make sure that his chair is stowed on the plane in wheelchair stowage and NOT in the cabin as I'm afraid it will get broken and we'll be up the creek with no way to transport him. However, since it's technically a stroller, I'm worried that they'll say no / that "real" wheelchairs have priority. 

Is there a way to ensure that we will be able to utilize that space for his chair? 

5 REPLIES 5

Re: Preboarding with Disabled Child - Stroller as Wheelchair?

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

@Helenasue wrote:

We are flying from Orlando to Columbus with my 3 year old and my 6 month old. My 3 year old has Leukodystrophy and uses a specific supportive stroller as his wheelchair as we're waiting for his custom chair to be built currently. He cannot walk, stand, or sit unassisted. Most strollers do not offer the support he needs, so I can't just buy a cheap one when we arrive at our destination or anything if his gets broken. 

I want to make sure that his chair is stowed on the plane in wheelchair stowage and NOT in the cabin as I'm afraid it will get broken and we'll be up the creek with no way to transport him. However, since it's technically a stroller, I'm worried that they'll say no / that "real" wheelchairs have priority. 

Is there a way to ensure that we will be able to utilize that space for his chair? 

Can you clarify the question whether you want the chair in the cabin with you, or if it would be gate checked to the destination?

If gate checked do you have any bag for it?

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.

Helenasue
Explorer C

I meant to write cabin - I don't want it in cargo because I keep hearing horror stories about wheelchairs getting broken in cargo. I've read there's a wheelchair closet on the plane that is first-come. 

floridaguy
Aviator C

Never heard any horror stories about wheelchairs.

Helenasue
Explorer C

Wheelchair damage on flights is an extremely common problem. Just Google "wheelchair broken" and the next two words Google will offer you is "on airplane". 

According to the Department of Transportation, airlines damage on average about 1.5% of the mobility equipment they transport.

In 2022 alone, that translated to 11,389 incidents.

Helenasue
Explorer C