Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Stolen Items and toothbrush opened

sshoate
Explorer C

I just came back from a trip to Miami. I really didn't have anything expensive. But, for some reason the TSA wanted to steal worn earrings and small bottle 50ml of unopened alcohol. They really had to dig because my suitcase was packed. Then, they unzipped my toiletries bag opened my toothbrush holder and done whatever with it. I dont want to even know but there were brown spot in the bristles and on the side. I through the entire thing in the TRASH! I'm wondering are they taking bags in a secluded area to go through and steal whatever or is EVERYONE working for TSA thieves and no one says anything!!  And, if you put a lock on your bag they will break it steal your items do disgusting things to your toothbrush. So you come out way worse then just the stolen items. Ive learned my lesson, if there are items other than clothes put in carry on or personal item. I didnt have this problem with any other airline. As much as flights are there should be cameras EVERYWHERE TSA agents would take your luggage. Fire them..its a revolving job anyway sobthey would not be out much! I'm sure a full day's flights would pay for them. It would slow down the thievery and inappropriate things. Just a thought!!

3 REPLIES 3

Re: Stolen Items and toothbrush opened

floridaguy
Aviator C

I am encouraging people to utilize the legal system and file lawsuits against TSA.  The judges are beginning to relax on the concept of "hold harmless" and is holding TSA accountable for behavior.

Gather evidence and sue in Small Claims court.  

SoCalFlyer97
Frequent Flyer A

@sshoate wrote:

I just came back from a trip to Miami. I really didn't have anything expensive. But, for some reason the TSA wanted to steal worn earrings and small bottle 50ml of unopened alcohol. They really had to dig because my suitcase was packed. Then, they unzipped my toiletries bag opened my toothbrush holder and done whatever with it. I dont want to even know but there were brown spot in the bristles and on the side. I through the entire thing in the TRASH! I'm wondering are they taking bags in a secluded area to go through and steal whatever or is EVERYONE working for TSA thieves and no one says anything!!  And, if you put a lock on your bag they will break it steal your items do disgusting things to your toothbrush. So you come out way worse then just the stolen items. Ive learned my lesson, if there are items other than clothes put in carry on or personal item. I didnt have this problem with any other airline. As much as flights are there should be cameras EVERYWHERE TSA agents would take your luggage. Fire them..its a revolving job anyway sobthey would not be out much! I'm sure a full day's flights would pay for them. It would slow down the thievery and inappropriate things. Just a thought!!

20230516_064239-EDIT.png

Hello-

My experiences through the TSA checkpoint have always been professional both at my home airport at SAN and abroad. I think the alcohol may have flagged the carry-on for secondary inspection. Did you use the PreCheck or standard screening lane? If standard screening, was the 3-1-1 bag with the alcohol properly removed from the luggage before running it through the x-ray machine?

I'm able to use the PreCheck lane and should my bag get pulled for a secondary, I usually ask what specifically they're looking for and I'll point the agent to the appropriate area of the bag to assist them with their inspection. I always have my laptop, electronics and 3-1-1 bag packed in an area that can be easily accessed in the event of a secondary. Here's TSA's guidelines on alcohol for carry-on:

Alcohol: Permitted if less than or equal to 3.4oz/100 ml and stowed in a 3-1-1 compliant quart-sized bag.

If you believe everything in your carry-on and 3-1-1 bag was compliant and you believe your property was unfairly damaged or taken during an routine secondary inspection, I would file a complaint and provide your approximate time you went through the TSA Checkpoint, airport location and checkpoint location, which lane (standard lane or PreCheck), and flight number. The checkpoints have decent surveillance which should allow for a proper investigation.

https://www.tsa.gov/contact-center/form/complaints

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

@SoCalFlyer97 wrote:

@sshoate wrote:

20230516_064239-EDIT.png

Hello-

My experiences through the TSA checkpoint have always been professional both at my home airport at SAN and abroad. I think the alcohol may have flagged the carry-on for secondary inspection. Did you use the PreCheck or standard screening lane? If standard screening, was the 3-1-1 bag with the alcohol properly removed from the luggage before running it through the x-ray machine?

I'm able to use the PreCheck lane and should my bag get pulled for a secondary, I usually ask what specifically they're looking for and I'll point the agent to the appropriate area of the bag to assist them with their inspection. I always have my laptop, electronics and 3-1-1 bag packed in an area that can be easily accessed in the event of a secondary. Here's TSA's guidelines on alcohol for carry-on:

Alcohol: Permitted if less than or equal to 3.4oz/100 ml and stowed in a 3-1-1 compliant quart-sized bag.

If you believe everything in your carry-on and 3-1-1 bag was compliant and you believe your property was unfairly damaged or taken during an routine secondary inspection, I would file a complaint and provide your approximate time you went through the TSA Checkpoint, airport location and checkpoint location, which lane (standard lane or PreCheck), and flight number. The checkpoints have decent surveillance which should allow for a proper investigation.

https://www.tsa.gov/contact-center/form/complaints

I think they were referring to their checked luggage. This still seems out of the ordinary though, and likely still the case that the liquid items were what caused it to be investigated further in the back.

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.