Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Re: Stranded Luggage

dfwskier
Aviator A

Edited

Southwest mishandled less than one half of one percent of bags carried - .0040 specifically.. 

That was better than EVERY major airline  30% better than United -- 32.5% better than Delta and 100% better than American

Statistics provided for any alleged statistics experts out there.

IMO, if Southwest is going to spend bucks on something, maybe it would be better to spend them on things that benefit a larger percentage of it's passengers - like keeping fares low.

floridaguy
Aviator C

Mishandling 4 bags out of 1,000 versus the neighboring airlines who mishandle 5 or so bags per 1,000 is statistically similar.  The data is within 75% of each other.

Now, if other airlines mishandled 20 bags per 1,000 and Southwest mishandled 4 out of 1,000 then you have something statistically significant.

On this board, there are a lot of rose-colored glasses when it comes to data.  

But, I guess if everyone "feels" good, that is what matters.

dfwskier
Aviator A

@floridaguy wrote:

Mishandling 4 bags out of 1,000 versus the neighboring airlines who mishandle 5 or so bags per 1,000 is statistically similar.  The data is within 75% of each other.

I'll call that response what it is: BS.

When dealing with a sample size of hundreds of thousands that fact that

SW  was better than EVERY major airline  --- 30% better than United -- 32.5% better than Delta and 100% better than American

is statistically significant.

Rgos70
Explorer C

Many thanks to the team member at the LAX baggage claim office who returned my message and was able to get my luggage on a flight to Reno.