Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Stroller + car seat

Arb154
Explorer C

We are flying this week and have a stroller and a WayB car seat which is very light and compact. I purchased one of those check bags off Amazon to put the stroller in. Can I put the stroller and the car seat in the one bag if it all fits? Or do I need to get another bag for just the car seat? 

7 REPLIES 7

Re: Stroller + car seat

floridaguy
Aviator C

Size limitations apply no matter how many bags there are.

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

@floridaguy wrote:

Size limitations apply no matter how many bags there are.

Not for baby gear - also the question was if both items fit inside the blue bag (which they do) so it won't be a size or weight issue. Just that two items may bang together inside the same bag.

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.

floridaguy
Aviator C

Yes, there are limitations.  Show up with a swing set, toy box, outdoor climbing set, portable changing station, etc. and declare all of it to be "baby gear" and see what happens.

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

@floridaguy wrote:

Yes, there are limitations.  Show up with a swing set, toy box, outdoor climbing set, portable changing station, etc. and declare all of it to be "baby gear" and see what happens.

There are limitations - the items have to be car seats and strollers. But no size limit is given.

Do we have to check in her stroller ahead of time or can we check it at the gate?

• Customers with children are allowed to check one stroller and one car seat without charge. This allowance applies to any type of stroller and/or car seat and is in addition to the regular baggage allowance.
  • Customers may check the stroller and car seat at the curb, ticket counter, or gate. If you opt to gate check, you’ll need to get tags with an Agent at the Customer Service desk working your gate.
  • An optional Southwest reusable car seat/stroller bag is available for purchase at any Southwest Airlines ticket counter for $17.

floridaguy
Aviator C

There are limits.  Go ahead, declare all of that is "baby gear" and see how it works out.

tappingmom1
Frequent Flyer B

For clear transparency, I don't know SWA's policy on putting two such items in one bag.

However, I definitely wouldn't do it.  There is more of a chance of either or both items being damaged moving through the baggage system, as they can "clank" together or cause the bag to become unwieldy during handling.

If you don't want to purchase a separate bag for the car seat, you can place it in a large, heavy-duty, clear plastic bag and secure it shut.  You may want to bring a spare bag for your return trip.

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

@Arb154 wrote:

We are flying this week and have a stroller and a WayB car seat which is very light and compact. I purchased one of those check bags off Amazon to put the stroller in. Can I put the stroller and the car seat in the one bag if it all fits? Or do I need to get another bag for just the car seat? 

We have done this and it was fine, the two items will move around in the bag together as long as that's okay with you (i.e. they are durable and you don't mind any scrapes).

Ours was the Graco stroller with the baby carrier that snaps in and out of it - both items are very sturdy and fit easily into the blue bag.