Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Re: TIME ZONE CHECK IN QUESTION!

dfwskier
Aviator A

@Anjiepukapanty wrote:

Clarifying: I’m flying to Texas from

Hawaii (5 hours behind) & my boarding is at 9am Hawai’i time. Does this mean I would check in at 9am the day before or 4am the day before to match Texas time that I’m traveling to? SOS!!

This gets confusing, so let's try this again.

You would check in as early as 24 hours before departure time of the city you are departing from  - regardless of what time it is in whatever place you do the check in.

So, in your case, yes 4 am in Texas - if that is where you do the check in.

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

@Anjiepukapanty wrote:

Clarifying: I’m flying to Texas from

Hawaii (5 hours behind) & my boarding is at 9am Hawai’i time. Does this mean I would check in at 9am the day before or 4am the day before to match Texas time that I’m traveling to? SOS!!

Check-in based on the departure time - so if you are in Hawaii now for a 9 a.m. Hawaii time flight, then check in at 9 a.m. local time the day before.

If you are in Texas now and doing a day trip to Hawaii and back, then check in still at 9 a.m. Hawaii time the day before but which would be 2 p.m. CDT. (If it's five hours difference, I didn't verify that.)

24 hours from the local time of the departure, then adjust to current time zone.

The time zone of the destination has nothing to do with the check-in time.

The time zone of your current location which might be one or the other or a third one also doesn't matter - it's 24 hours from the local departure time, and then adjust to wherever you are.

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.

Jscott1000
Explorer C

So evidently if daylight saving time ends during this period you are instructed to check in at the 23 hour point.  Yes, this is happening to me this weekend.

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

@Jscott1000 wrote:

So evidently if daylight saving time ends during this period you are instructed to check in at the 23 hour point.  Yes, this is happening to me this weekend.

That sounds consistent with past time changes - check in at the correct “number” hour as if it was usually 24 hours in advance even if it is 25 hours in the fall back or 23 hours in the spring forward.

This is the easiest way so the passengers don’t have to do the math on the time.

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.