Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

What is the DATE that Southwest starts assigned seats?

BobNoxious123
Explorer C

I have flights booked for August and October.  What is the DATE southwest starts assigned seats.  Also, what are they going to do about my 4 free upgraded boardings from my priority credit card?  

5 REPLIES 5

Re: What is the DATE that Southwest starts assigned seats?

wkkunkle
Explorer B

I believe the news articles said the assigned seating and premium legroom seats available for purchase will start next year.

They are starting redeye flights in February (but I believe they are on sale as of today).

velcrobaby
Explorer C

The news story I just saw on CNN said assigned seats to begin in September and I have a flight in September and one in November so I'm not sure what will happen with those.  I also have the 4 free upgraded boarding from my credit card.  I guess all remains to be seen how they will address that. 

wkkunkle
Explorer B

I have a flight in late September and return flight in early October, so definitely will want to know the details (especially since I'm travelling with two toddlers).  But, guessing we will just have to wait until Southwest decides to provide details beyond their press release.

The articles I've read all say they are starting to sell red-eye flights as of today, with the first flights happening in February 2025.  The articles said the other changes are happening next year and Southwest will provide more details on the changes in their September investor meeting:

https://www.swamedia.com/releases/southwest-airlines-launches-enhancements-to-transform-customer-exp...

"Southwest will provide more details on its comprehensive plan to deliver transformational commercial initiatives, improved operational efficiency and capital allocation discipline during its Investor Day in late September. "

wkkunkle
Explorer B

2025 will be when it becomes effective.  They posted to Facebook.

wkkunkle_0-1721927713492.png

dfwskier
Aviator A

It will probably coincide with a future schedule release so tickets purchased for flights after that date will have assigned seating