Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Why I may stop using Southwest

LeeMKE
Explorer C

I travel exclusively on Southwest during my US travel. 
I do this because I can check up to two bags. I always arrive from abroad with one bag. But sometimes I buy a few things that will exceed the weight limit, so I’ll buy a small bag and check the surplus. For this reason I book my 3-6 flights open jaw with SWA. 
BUT there are downsides to my choice: I cannot use other routes that might be more convenient or nonstop because SWA is not on the flight search platforms with the competitors. This decision saves SWA money, and makes it dicey to mix carriers. 
And I never know when I might need the help of an extra piece of luggage checked in, so paying extra bag fees close to date of travel is very expensive on other carriers. 
Do what you must, but I will leave if the only advantage is taken away. 

1 REPLY 1

Re: Why I may stop using Southwest

SoCalFlyer97
Aviator C

@LeeMKE wrote:

SWA is not on the flight search platforms with the competitors. 

Hello-

That statement was true not too long ago. Back in the day, one had to search directly on SW's website or app to search for flights and to get pricing.

But not too long ago, SW decided to have flights listed on Google Flights with pricing and more recently Kayak:

Google Flights SAN-SMF.png

Kayak.png

The sites link to SW's reservation system and the bookings are all done through SW (not via third-party).

Still did not see listings on Expedia or Priceline as of today. Not sure if their partnership with Booking.com for SW Hotels has anything to do with that but that's where we're at.

Hope this helps!

Follow SoCalFlyer97 after the SW Community Forums Closes
The SW Community Forums will be retiring effective 9/16; see the official announcement in the headers. SoCalFlyer97 will be on FlyerTalk's Southwest Airlines Forum to answer traveler questions going forward and plans to publish future Trip Reports there in their Trip Report forum. Also currently on TripAdvisor and Twitter/X under the same name. See you there!