Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

baggage for final destination

Ancadgel
Explorer C

Hi! I pieced together 2 flights to get to Hawaii from Raleigh RDU. I was originally only carrying a backpack + carryon but they are both very full with no room left; they will still fit but I would probably have to mail souvenirs back! LOL.  I'm considering switching to checking a bag.  I have the first flight of the day 5am, from what i've read the ticket counter and security do not even open until 4am.  The terminal in which Southwest is located does not have the other major airlines so it is not normally as busy as the others (from my research). My question is do you think checking my bag to final destination will make me rushed in getting through security (I do have Pre-check also).  TIA!

3 REPLIES 3

Re: baggage for final destination

dfwskier
Aviator A

As long as your bag fits in the TSA bag screener, you culd take it to teh gate and check it there.

Flying_Slug
Adventurer A

Perhaps, on your flight to Hawaii, you can bring all your belongings on board, and then on your return flight, you could check in your backpack with all the souvenirs you may wish to get.

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

@Ancadgel wrote:

Hi! I pieced together 2 flights to get to Hawaii from Raleigh RDU. I was originally only carrying a backpack + carryon but they are both very full with no room left; they will still fit but I would probably have to mail souvenirs back! LOL.  I'm considering switching to checking a bag.  I have the first flight of the day 5am, from what i've read the ticket counter and security do not even open until 4am.  The terminal in which Southwest is located does not have the other major airlines so it is not normally as busy as the others (from my research). My question is do you think checking my bag to final destination will make me rushed in getting through security (I do have Pre-check also).  TIA!

My main question is that it says you "pieced together" two flights - do you mean a one-way ticket to destination X and then another ticket from X to Hawaii? In that case carrying on may be favorable depending on your time for connection. You may be able to get checked baggage tagged for the final destination in Hawaii but there is a chance you'd have to retrieve it and go through re-checking when you get to X if I'm understanding the post.

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.