Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

preboarding

JenKay2001
Explorer C

I have a disability (I have been diagnosed by a neurologist and am on medication for it, NOT made up) which makes it impossible for me to stand unsupported or even walk very slowly without debilitating leg tremors (that will cause back spasms if I'm forced to try to stand longer than my body will allow). Walking at a normal pace, I appear normal.

I preboard simply because I am physically incapable of standing in the boarding line or shuffling slowly with the boarding crowd down the jetway and being forced to wait in the plane as people get to their seat/get things arranged- so I do technically need assistance boarding the aircraft. The gate agents are great and understanding about this, but man oh man some of the things I've read here are scary!

Seeing all this hate about people who everyone thinks "look normal" preboarding just heightens my anxiety, which is already extremely high when I am in a situation where there are lines for food, bathrooms, etc to be negotiated. I really wish people would understand that a disability may mot be visible and still be very real. 

5 REPLIES 5

Re: preboarding

SoCalFlyer97
Aviator C

@JenKay2001 wrote:

I have a disability (I have been diagnosed by a neurologist and am on medication for it, NOT made up) which makes it impossible for me to stand unsupported or even walk very slowly without debilitating leg tremors (that will cause back spasms if I'm forced to try to stand longer than my body will allow). Walking at a normal pace, I appear normal.

I preboard simply because I am physically incapable of standing in the boarding line or shuffling slowly with the boarding crowd down the jetway and being forced to wait in the plane as people get to their seat/get things arranged- so I do technically need assistance boarding the aircraft. The gate agents are great and understanding about this, but man oh man some of the things I've read here are scary!

Seeing all this hate about people who everyone thinks "look normal" preboarding just heightens my anxiety, which is already extremely high when I am in a situation where there are lines for food, bathrooms, etc to be negotiated. I really wish people would understand that a disability may mot be visible and still be very real. 

Hola! I would not worry about what other people think about this subject. If you believe you qualify (and it appears based on what you describe that you do qualify), I would use the benefit.

I fly frequently and have not once seen any negativity regarding pre-boarding in the gate area, even when it looks like those pre-boarding have no visible signs of disability; the fact is, I have no clue of their internal medical conditions and it is none of my business. Thankfully, what you read on this board on this subject generally does not reflect the mood of the airport.

Yes, there's widespread debate and different opinions on this subject on this message board especially if it involves flights with a high pre-board count and/or people with no visible signs of disability. But don't let it influence your decision to request pre-boarding. 

The fact is based on your needs, you are legally entitled to make use of the pre-board benefit, period. Thus on travel day, no need to worry. Just give yourself extra time to go to the check-in or gate counter to request your PRBD boarding pass, let the agent know when they do the short interview with you of your disability, and they should grant your pre-board status. You can also add a note about your disability on reservation which should further help facilitate the interview process.

Hope this helps!

More info:

https://support.southwest.com/helpcenter/s/article/preboarding

JenKay2001
Explorer C

Thanks, that does help.

BrianRoberts
Explorer C

Thank you so much for the link.

RoseCliver
Explorer C

It's important to remember that disabilities aren't always visible, and your needs are valid. Preboarding accommodations exist for a reason, and you deserve the support. Stay strong and try not to let others' misunderstandings affect you.

kierants
Adventurer C

I agree and think the entire flight should pre board. WE all suffer from some sort of affliction...