Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Re: PRE BOARD NONSENSE

parpitt1
Frequent Flyer A

This may not entirely obliterate Jetway Jesus, but it will put a "hurting" on him.

Having to pay to receive the benefit that others, (Honest people), either pay for or have earned through frequent flying will cause most scammers to melt back in to the lines where they should have been waiting in anyways

Halleluiah!  

Artanis
Explorer B

Well, I would rather that they were flying than sitting at home in front of a TV.

Artanis_0-1718477855440.png

Anyway, wherever I sit on the plane I can order a Jack and Sprite.

floridaguy
Aviator C
Solution

I see a problem with charging extra for the first ten rows.

Doing so would essentially invalidate the current system which rewards passengers by boarding positions.  The earlier the check in or frequency of travel, now you get a better boarding position.  

Frankly, Southwest did this to themselves.  Having open seating combined with preboard rules yields exactly what we have going on.

It is my opinion that preboarding should follow the same rules as handicapped parking.  Get a medical certification.  Otherwise, board with everyone else.

dfwskier
Aviator A

BS Buyers, A list Preferred and maybe A List could be comped the fee for the first 10 rows.

Traybug15
Explorer C

At the end of the day the problem with this boarding system is that it relies largely on the honor system which will always be flawed. There are people with disabilities that prohibit their ability to navigate boarding appropriately and that is the demographic Southwest probably had in mind while memorializing their policies. Beyond their policies, they are required to follow federal law and the spectrum of what is now considered a disability is vast. 

Then there are people like me who look seemingly healthy but by the definition of the law, have a permanent disability. My disability is from a traumatic brain injury which has permanently affected my vision. 

This is where the honor system applies. My mobility is fine and therefore I would never request to pre-board ahead of others who truly need that assistance, although technically by law I could. I typically pay the fee to board in the A1-A15 group. I have a permanent disability but am completely able bodied. 

People grossly abuse this system. I think you should have to prove your disability to pre-board. Those with mobility issues typically have to have proof for handicap parking and work accommodation's etc. . For those who are truly disabled, providing proof is a non-issue. 

It’s way too easy for people to cite that if they don’t sit here or there because of their disability they will freak out, vomit, have panic attacks etc. Whether true or not, literally anyone could say this if they aren’t required to show documentation. As someone with a significant disability it makes me very angry to see how badly people scam the system or lean on their disability when it has absolutely nothing to do with getting on and off an airplane. 

As a mom, I have no issue with an adult boarding with a child who is under a certain age but think this she be offered after those who paid for A1-A15 upgrades board the plane and are able to capitalize on something they paid for. My problem is when you see a group of six board with one small child. That’s just ridiculous. 

Southwest is clearly playing it safe with their very loose pre-boarding practices to avoid a potential discrimination lawsuit.  

The pre-boarding was so grossly abused during my last few trips (I’m a frequent flier), that my husband and I have sworn them off for life.  Their system needs revamping. 

dfwskier
Aviator A

"People grossly abuse this system. I think you should have to prove your disability to pre-board."

The Air Carrier Access Act does not allow that. The law would have to be changed.

Traybug15
Explorer C

That was my point. What is considered a disability by law is so vast by definition Southwest can’t touch it or challenge anyone legally without potential repercussions. But when you see people who couldn’t walk while boarding a flight remove their braces or boots while walking to baggage claim, something has to give. 

PSU85
Explorer A

I recently flew from PHX to BWI. There were a large number of wheel chairs and pre-boarders. There was a group of four 20 something people sitting on the floor beside me. About 10 minutes before the flight was supposed to board, the 2 females started doing yoga and stretching. As soon as they called for pre-boarders they all popped up and walked to the gate. I know not all disabilities are visible but these four people had no trouble doing yoga or walking to the gate. My wife and I were A-12 and A-13 and had to sit behind the wing due to the combination of the number of pre-boarders and the number of seats they were saving for the rest of their group. The system is broken due to the number of people that are gaming the system.

dfwskier
Aviator A

@Traybug15 wrote:

That was my point. What is considered a disability by law is so vast by definition Southwest can’t touch it or challenge anyone legally without potential repercussions. But when you see people who couldn’t walk while boarding a flight remove their braces or boots while walking to baggage claim, something has to give. 

What would have to happen is that the federal law would have to be changed. Lottsa luck with that one.

foreverlaur
Explorer C

Some of this isn't the passengers abusing but silly Southwest rules. My mother is physically incapable of walking from the start of the airport to her gate. She has huge arthritic problems with her feet and knees, including multiple surgeries. However, she can walk perfectly fine for shorter distances. When she flies, she asks for someone to wheel her in a wheelchair to the gate. At that point, she'd prefer to get out of the wheelchair and board with everyone else, but they tell her she is NOT ALLOWED. Once an employee wheels you back in a wheelchair, you have to pre-board with the other folks in the wheelchair. It's ridiculous and silly.