Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

suggestion on boarding faster

ssgonzo68
Explorer C

I know many if not all airlines are trying to figure out how to board people quickly.  I know another airline that just made a small improvement based on a study.  My background is in software engineering and trying to make things efficient.  So here's my suggestion. First of all, I am not including people who are exceptions to general rules like people in wheel chairs, people who need assistance, family with kids etc.  In general, I believe people should be loaded from the back to the front of the plan.  Allow a certain number of people to board early if they are willing to set in the back of the plane.  For example, if there are 50 seats behind the wing of the plan, maybe allow 35 people to board earlier and enforce that they sit behind the wing.  People WILL try to take advantage of the system.  My second idea is probably not feasible but I at least I will state my observation.  Many people stand in the middle of the aisle while they either get luggage put in the overhead compartment or somehow get situated in their seat.  Here's the hard part. I think a nice, extra suggestion or help can come from a flight attendant so that the passenger is aware that they are holding up the line.

2 REPLIES 2

Re: suggestion on boarding faster

SoCalFlyer97
Frequent Flyer A

@ssgonzo68 wrote:

I know many if not all airlines are trying to figure out how to board people quickly.  I know another airline that just made a small improvement based on a study.  My background is in software engineering and trying to make things efficient.  So here's my suggestion. First of all, I am not including people who are exceptions to general rules like people in wheel chairs, people who need assistance, family with kids etc.  In general, I believe people should be loaded from the back to the front of the plan.  Allow a certain number of people to board early if they are willing to set in the back of the plane.  For example, if there are 50 seats behind the wing of the plan, maybe allow 35 people to board earlier and enforce that they sit behind the wing.  People WILL try to take advantage of the system.  My second idea is probably not feasible but I at least I will state my observation.  Many people stand in the middle of the aisle while they either get luggage put in the overhead compartment or somehow get situated in their seat.  Here's the hard part. I think a nice, extra suggestion or help can come from a flight attendant so that the passenger is aware that they are holding up the line.

Hola!

In August, CNBC published a very informative 12 minute news story on "Why Airlines Won’t Fix Inefficient Boarding"...Southwest got a bunch of positive media coverage of its boarding process with a preview of how Southwest is further improving it. As of the time of the news story, the airline is trying out boarding communication monitors that are installed directly on the boarding pillars and playing upbeat music in the jetway.

The story also covers alternative boarding methods and the time required to execute according to a research doc published by Astrophysics Jason Steffen "Experimental Test of Airplane Boarding Methods".

Enjoy!

News Story

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iuGEqnmySvo

Research Doc:

https://arxiv.org/abs/1108.5211

Re: suggestion on boarding faster

SWFlyer007
Aviator C

I've be advocating for back of the plane boarding for years now, once upon a time I loved the back.  I'm now more of a first 20 row person basically due to the lateness of so many flights and having to get to another gate.  But I'd have no issue on this one.